I am a student of Geology studying at University of Dhaka,Bangladesh.I want to build my carrier in Petroleum Geology.PLease give me some advice & references which are helpful to me.

Good thinking.

The Geology these days is on the back-burner in comparison to the Geophysics. As the basin gets matured with the passage of time, relatively deeper, subtle and smaller traps are to be pursued; the geophysical softwares are getting increasingly sophisticated and effective for the purpose. Now the undiscovered basins will most probably be found in remote and frontier regions, including the offshore. The global oil reserves of over 1 trillion barrels are sufficient for the time being, and only the big guns are undertaking work in undiscovered remote areas where experts are mostly deployed. So, for the next 10-15 years, junior professionals are likely to continue work on the already discovered regions, where Geophysical knowledge would be crucial.

Remote sensing is a very powerful tool, both in its visual and digital applications. You may like to have some credit hours for this also. It is not only for pure geological purposes but for planning seismic surveys, logistical requirement of a field to be developed, laying of local and regional pipelines, roads etc etc.

I would say that an Earth Scientist should know the following:

-Stratigraphy (best understood during geological field work).
-Structural geology,  and the tectonics that have caused it.
-Good handle on electric log interpretation to carry out regional, and within the field correlations to understand distribution of reservoirs, seals etc. Within a field, a geological model would be a requirement of a reservoir engineer, and logs help greatly in that.
-Remote sensing applications (visual would do).
-Fundamentals of drilling and mud logging.
-Depositional concepts about sedimentary rocks.
-Sufficient geophysical knowledge to interact with Geophysicists, or sufficient geopgysical knowledge to interact with Geologists.
-Good handle on computer softwares to carry out reserve estimates, log correlations, mapping etc. I have found that knowledge of graphic softwares is of great help to prepare convincing technical drawings.

Wherever you start your career, the organization will have its own geological/geophysical data base including that of other related disciplines. The more you use the existing data, the more successfully you will be able to handle the incoming data, and solve the problems.

I am not clear about the references part of your question.  

Nusrat Kamal Siddiqui (Mr)

I am a petroleum exploration geologist with about 40+ years of diversified experience. I can answer questions on stratigraphy, log interpretation, field studies based on set of logs and core results, general geology etc. Can provide guidance for career planning in earth sciences. Can not help in questions about hard rocks, igneous petrology & mineralogy, sequence stratigraphy and seismic.

Petroleum Exploration - field geology, stratigraphy, prospect generation, interpretation of satellite imagery (visual), log interpretation.

Retired in May, 2006 as Senior Manager Exploration from Pakistan Petroleum Limited after serving 26 years. Since then continuing in active service with petroleum exploration companies.A cumulative experience of about 40 years covers 30 years in petroleum exploration, 5 years hydrogeology experience in Libya, and about 5 years of dam geology in Pakistan.

-AAPG Bulletin (Vol.88, July, 2004); paper on Sui Main Limestone (Eocene), a prolific gas reservoir in Pakistan. -Have presented papers on diversified topics ranging from spirituality, flood control, remote sensing and off course geology in France, Nepal, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, UAE, Kashmir, India and Pakistan that have been published in respective Special Proceedings. -ONGC Bulletin(India) Vol. 44, Number 2, December, 2009; Chapter 19.A & 19.B on basin architecture and stratigraphy of Pakistan, p.402-474.

BSc Honours in Geology and Master of Science in Petroleum and Structural Geology. PGD from ITC, The Netherlands.

-Remained Active Member of AAPG from 1990-2006; founding member of PAPG (a local affiliate of AAPG). -Life member of SEGMITE & AGID, and Senior Editor of SEGMITE magazine. -Member of the Board of Studies, i. Department of Petroleum & Gas Engineering (BUITMS, Quetta), and ii. Geology Department, Sindh University, Jamshoro. -Member of Stratigraphic Committee of Pakistan. -Represented Mining Journal, UK in Pakistan till 2007. -Chairman of Annual Technical Conference (ATC)& Oil Show, an SPE/PAPG annual event, in 2003. -Chairman Technical Committee (ATC, 2002).