sir my question is in extensional tectonics what type of structures are formed. specially in Lower Indus Basin Pakistan.

Dear Raheel,

Thanks for sending me your question.

The structural style which have been developed in extensional tectonics are normal faults which are generally parallel or sub-parallel to the axis of the rifting forces. Lower Indus basin is the interior basin of the Indian plate before late Jurassic to early Cretaceous rifting during which time  Indian plate separated from East Africa and Madagaskar.

The areas of Lower Indus Basin have been  significantly affected by event of failed rifting and later basin was tilted and inverted . by compressional tectonics. Therefore, the resulting structures have been  tilted fault blocks in most of south eastern part of the Lower Indus basin whereas due to more pronounced and dominant effect of compressional tectonic thrust related anticlines are present in the western part of Lower Indus Basin as in Kirthar Range.

Hope, this answer helps.

Do not forget to RATE this answer if you are satisfied.

Tariq Hasany

Syed Tariq Hasany

MY HUMBLE REQUEST. BEFORE SENDING A QUESTION PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULY. ANSWERING ONLY PUBLIC QUESTIONS. Ask questions of exploration of Petroleum, and specific regions for specific answers about Pakistan, Central Asia, Middle East and Far East. Ask questions of Business side of the petroleum Geology. Love to guide students and also Career related issues PRIVATE QUESTIONS on I am not expert of Hard rocks (Igneous and metamorphic rocks)Volcanic activity and related petrology, mineralogy and its exploration. BE SPECIFOC WHAT YOU WANT TO KNOW AND ASK WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT. Show me your determination and commitment to learn. PLEASE TRY TO WRITE RIGHT, PROPER AND CORRECT LANGUAGE. DO NOT USE TEXT(SMS)STYLE. Thanks TARIQ

Petroleum Exploration

Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd

In Pakistani and Asian Petroleum Confertence special Publications

BSc Honours in Geology and Master of Science degree in Petroleum Geology

Active member AAPG, SPE and PAPG Treasurer PAPG and AAPG Visiting Geoscientist