Geology/tectonics

Question
aoa,
sir my question is in extensional tectonics what type of structures are formed. specially in Lower Indus Basin Pakistan.

Answer
Dear Raheel,

Thanks for sending me your question.

The structural style which have been developed in extensional tectonics are normal faults which are generally parallel or sub-parallel to the axis of the rifting forces. Lower Indus basin is the interior basin of the Indian plate before late Jurassic to early Cretaceous rifting during which time  Indian plate separated from East Africa and Madagaskar.

The areas of Lower Indus Basin have been  significantly affected by event of failed rifting and later basin was tilted and inverted . by compressional tectonics. Therefore, the resulting structures have been  tilted fault blocks in most of south eastern part of the Lower Indus basin whereas due to more pronounced and dominant effect of compressional tectonic thrust related anticlines are present in the western part of Lower Indus Basin as in Kirthar Range.

Hope, this answer helps.

Do not forget to RATE this answer if you are satisfied.

Regards

Tariq Hasany

Geology

Syed Tariq Hasany