Geology/Cave Structures.

Are Caves always Closed Structures ?. i.e. The Entry and Exit Points are always the same. There can be multiple entry points to enter the cave structure but the entry points will be always the exit points ?. Exit point i mean is coming out of the cave structure. For example in a Theater hall the entry (To enter the Cinema Hall) and exit (To exit the Cinema Hall) points may be different.

Will there be any specific advantages if exit points are created /constructed (only if exit points do not exist) within the cave
structures ?

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Dear Prashant S Akerkar,

Thanks for sending me your question.

Answering your question; there is no specific rule or strict condition  about caves exit point. There may be multiple exit points. The caves usually have one entry point which should be more prominent and easily accessible whereas possibly others are more difficult and relatively less know.

I don't see the reason why more exit points would not have been created in a cave if really essential as it does in the mines which provides an alternate exit in case of emergency.

These days caves are considered one of the most attractive tourist spots due to its geological importance. Marble Arch Caves in Enniskillen Fermanagh County, Northern Ireland is one of the cave system within limestone of Paleozoic age I have been there myself. This is a marvelous place to see the large crystals of calcite and underground river system. I understand that those caves which are being used for public access alternate routes must have been placed for safety.

Hope, this answer helps. Please do not forget to Rate this answer.

Thank you.

Can Caves exploration help in identifying potential sources of Minerals
for Mankind ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Dear Prashant,

Thanks for your good Rating and I am glad you are satisfied with my answer.

Answering your question about role of cave exploration for locating minerals; Yes it may help. Most obvious mineral is calcite which found in great variety of colors and crystal shapes. However, other minerals may also be found.

I am not sure if the caves were ever considered useful passage for locating of minerals  but I can tell you that great many minerals and gemstones are known to be found in igneous rocks and whereas majority of the caves are in limestone where potential for other commercial quantity of minerals is limited. It is possible if the caves hosting limestone have been affected during any  geological time by any igneous activity which forms a vertical or lateral igneous body plug(terms "Dyke" and "Sill" are used respectively) where minerals could have been accumulated.

The caves exploration definitely has been  useful for the studying the sedimentation and other geological purposes, and also could be very helpful locating large size to very small size and microscopic fossils.  

Hope this answer helps.

Tariq Hasany

Syed Tariq Hasany

MY HUMBLE REQUEST. BEFORE SENDING A QUESTION PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULY. ANSWERING ONLY PUBLIC QUESTIONS. Ask questions of exploration of Petroleum, and specific regions for specific answers about Pakistan, Central Asia, Middle East and Far East. Ask questions of Business side of the petroleum Geology. Love to guide students and also Career related issues PRIVATE QUESTIONS on I am not expert of Hard rocks (Igneous and metamorphic rocks)Volcanic activity and related petrology, mineralogy and its exploration. BE SPECIFOC WHAT YOU WANT TO KNOW AND ASK WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT. Show me your determination and commitment to learn. PLEASE TRY TO WRITE RIGHT, PROPER AND CORRECT LANGUAGE. DO NOT USE TEXT(SMS)STYLE. Thanks TARIQ

Petroleum Exploration

Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd

In Pakistani and Asian Petroleum Confertence special Publications

BSc Honours in Geology and Master of Science degree in Petroleum Geology

Active member AAPG, SPE and PAPG Treasurer PAPG and AAPG Visiting Geoscientist