Geology/Cave Structures.

QUESTION: Dear Fraser

Are Caves always Closed Structures ?. i.e. The Entry and Exit Points are always the same. There can be multiple entry points to enter the cave structure but the entry points will be always the exit points ?. Exit point i mean is coming out of the cave structure. For example in a Theater hall the entry (To enter the Cinema Hall) and exit (To exit the Cinema Hall) points may be different.

Will there be any specific advantages if exit points are created /constructed (only if exit points do not exist) within the cave
structures ?

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Prashant

I am not sure what your confusion is....  if there are two openings to the cave then there is one way in and one way out, or two ways in, or two ways out.  I have been in caves where you can walk in one way and walk for an hour and come out a mile away from where you entered.  I am also familiar with caves where you can enter and come back out the same way.  There are caves where you can enter through a hole in the surface and then walk out miles away.

I am not sure there is any advantage to constructing anything relative to a cave.  What are you planning on using it for?

QUESTION: Dear Fraser

Thank you.

Can Caves exploration help in identifying potential sources of Minerals
for Mankind ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Most caves form in sedimentary rocks, particulary carbonates.  These are not places where one would usually find minerals, other than calcite.  Therefore, I am not sure that spending a lot of time in caves is going to help in the search for minerals.

Fraser Hamilton

I have over 15 years of professional experience in the environmental geology field. I am well versed in general geology types of questions and answers. In addition I have a keen understanding of physical stratigraphy (especially in the Valley and Ridge of Central PA) and cycles.

Eight years of education, fifteen years of professional experience. Have worked or studied in ME, PA, TX, KY, IN, TN, OH, WA and Scotland.

Geological Society of America
American Association of Petroleum Geologists
Properties Magazine
Cleveland Bar Association
Cleveland Engineering Society

BA Geology/Math, University of Maine at Farmington
MA Geology - Physical Stratigraphy, Temple University
Post Grad Studies Geology - Texas A&M University

Distinguished graduate teaching award, Temple University