in papers related to hydrothermal fluids at mid oceanic ridges, what does seawater/rock mass ratios mean?

The term seawater/rock mass has to do with the amount of water that a mass of molten rock effects or interacts with under certain conditions.

For instance in this abstract:

Tests were run on seawater and basalt interaction at 300C and it showed that the basalt underwent alteration that removed all Mg2+ from a volume of seawater 50 times the mass of the basalt.  The hydrothermal alteration caused the basalt to change to smectite-chlorite (clays), anhydrite and minor hematite.  The Mg removal occurred as Mg(OH)2 and was incorporated into the secondary clay minerals formed.

Keith Patton

I can answer questions concerning physical and historical geology, environmental geology/hydrology, environmental consulting, remote sensing/aerial photo interpretation, G&G computer applications, petroleum exploration, drilling, geochemistry, geochemical and microbiological prospecting, 3D reservoir modeling, computer mapping and drilling.I am not a geophysicist.

I have 24 years experience split between the petroleum and environmental industries. I have served as an expert witness in remote sensing, developmental geologist, exploration geologist, enviromental project manager, and subject matter expert in geology and geophysical software development.

American Association of Petroleum Geologists
American Association of Photogrammetrists and Remote Sensing

Bachelor and Master of Science
Registered Geologist in State of Texas