Geology/geology

Question
in papers related to hydrothermal fluids at mid oceanic ridges, what does seawater/rock mass ratios mean?

Answer
Ana:

The term seawater/rock mass has to do with the amount of water that a mass of molten rock effects or interacts with under certain conditions.

For instance in this abstract:  http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1982GeCoA..46..985S

Tests were run on seawater and basalt interaction at 300C and it showed that the basalt underwent alteration that removed all Mg2+ from a volume of seawater 50 times the mass of the basalt.  The hydrothermal alteration caused the basalt to change to smectite-chlorite (clays), anhydrite and minor hematite.  The Mg removal occurred as Mg(OH)2 and was incorporated into the secondary clay minerals formed.

Geology

Keith Patton