my question is
1.what the difference between clay and claystone we identify clay and claystone in the field

Dear Arman Khan,

Thanks for sending me your question.

Clay is very fine grained sediments with coloration from gray, dark gray, brown and reddish brown to dark brown. The color variation is attributed to the original color off the sediments or preexisting rock.  If these fine sediments lithified due to compaction and cementation and formed a hard consolidated rock it will be called as Claystone. Clay can be distinguished mainly by its fine grains. One of the test which I used to do in the field to differentiate from silstone to claystone or mudstone was to take chunk off the clay or claystone and try to break by your teeth and chew a small amount. Clay due to its extreme fine grains can be chewed without giving grittiness to your teeth.

Hydrophyllic clay absorbs water and may become gummy when in contact with water.That;s why clay pottery is famous in the world from centuries.

Hope, this answer helps you.

Syed Tariq Hasany

MY HUMBLE REQUEST. BEFORE SENDING A QUESTION PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULY. ANSWERING ONLY PUBLIC QUESTIONS. Ask questions of exploration of Petroleum, and specific regions for specific answers about Pakistan, Central Asia, Middle East and Far East. Ask questions of Business side of the petroleum Geology. Love to guide students and also Career related issues PRIVATE QUESTIONS on I am not expert of Hard rocks (Igneous and metamorphic rocks)Volcanic activity and related petrology, mineralogy and its exploration. BE SPECIFOC WHAT YOU WANT TO KNOW AND ASK WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT. Show me your determination and commitment to learn. PLEASE TRY TO WRITE RIGHT, PROPER AND CORRECT LANGUAGE. DO NOT USE TEXT(SMS)STYLE. Thanks TARIQ

Petroleum Exploration

Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd

In Pakistani and Asian Petroleum Confertence special Publications

BSc Honours in Geology and Master of Science degree in Petroleum Geology

Active member AAPG, SPE and PAPG Treasurer PAPG and AAPG Visiting Geoscientist