Geology/geololgy

Question
my question is
1.what the difference between clay and claystone
2.how we identify clay and claystone in the field

Answer
Dear Arman Khan,

Thanks for sending me your question.

Clay is very fine grained sediments with coloration from gray, dark gray, brown and reddish brown to dark brown. The color variation is attributed to the original color off the sediments or preexisting rock.  If these fine sediments lithified due to compaction and cementation and formed a hard consolidated rock it will be called as Claystone. Clay can be distinguished mainly by its fine grains. One of the test which I used to do in the field to differentiate from silstone to claystone or mudstone was to take chunk off the clay or claystone and try to break by your teeth and chew a small amount. Clay due to its extreme fine grains can be chewed without giving grittiness to your teeth.

Hydrophyllic clay absorbs water and may become gummy when in contact with water.That;s why clay pottery is famous in the world from centuries.

Hope, this answer helps you.

Regards

Tariq

Geology

Syed Tariq Hasany