Geology/Need guidance in field selection for MS

Hello Sir,

I completed my bachelor's degree in Information Technology but i am not kind of guy that sit for 10 hours in front of machine, i always like to explore natural things which is related to natural resources,environment science,geography,surveying.So I have decided to take admission for masters in geo informatics but i am confused about the job profile/description after doing MS.
Please provide me the description of jobs which I will get after completing MS and please tell me scope of this field in future.
Please provide me any link which will improve my knowledge in this field.
Thanks in advance sir, i am eagerly waiting for your reply.

Dear Ashish,

Thanks for sending me your question.

Great to read of your interest in nature and indeed Geology provide you a lot of opportunities to visit many unusual places on this earth where normal person has not ever been. I am not try to convince you to study geology but this subject has great potential to earn better than other professionals and travel more. Choice is yours.Though, this question does not directly relate to my expertise but I try to answer with regards to it petroleum exploration application.

Geo-Informatics or GIS is probably the most applied subject in many scientific industries these days either petroleum, mining or civil engineering or town planning.

Briefly,  the main workflow in Petroleum industry for GIS is to collect all sort of Geographic data which can be sourced either from various GIS service companies or from internal sources, managing ,storing and distribution of all digital maps, managing of seismic survey data either generated from internal or third party sources, managing all database with requires in petroleum exploration which includes, wells locations data, pipeline locations maps, exploration blocks and other company Working interests and land ownership maps. Preparation of various geographic maps with overlay of other geographic layers.

Your main task would be to provide technical assistance and support to petroleum exploration professionals. There are several software companies who create their own GIS software and you may also work for them to develop and write their software and market them (such as Arc GIS)

The job is mainly in office with occasional visits to the company fields location if requires.

Please see the following link

Hope, this answer may help.

Tariq Hasany

Syed Tariq Hasany

MY HUMBLE REQUEST. BEFORE SENDING A QUESTION PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULY. ANSWERING ONLY PUBLIC QUESTIONS. Ask questions of exploration of Petroleum, and specific regions for specific answers about Pakistan, Central Asia, Middle East and Far East. Ask questions of Business side of the petroleum Geology. Love to guide students and also Career related issues PRIVATE QUESTIONS on I am not expert of Hard rocks (Igneous and metamorphic rocks)Volcanic activity and related petrology, mineralogy and its exploration. BE SPECIFOC WHAT YOU WANT TO KNOW AND ASK WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT. Show me your determination and commitment to learn. PLEASE TRY TO WRITE RIGHT, PROPER AND CORRECT LANGUAGE. DO NOT USE TEXT(SMS)STYLE. Thanks TARIQ

Petroleum Exploration

Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd

In Pakistani and Asian Petroleum Confertence special Publications

BSc Honours in Geology and Master of Science degree in Petroleum Geology

Active member AAPG, SPE and PAPG Treasurer PAPG and AAPG Visiting Geoscientist