Geology/MY ROCK FIND

Question
THE ROCK
THE ROCK  
DEAR MR.KEITH PATTON,

WE FOUND THIS ROCK/STONE AT A FRIENDS DRIVEWAY.THEY JUST HAD PUT A NEW LOAD OF STONE GRAVEL DOWN.WHAT TYPE/KIND OF STONE/ROCK IS THIS?PHOTO IS ATTACHED.

THANKS
STEVE

Answer
Steve:

The picture ispretty small, but from what I can see it looks like a piece of amethyst quartz.  It is a violet colored quartz species.  The name comes from greek: a - for not and methustos for intoxicated.  or Not Intoxicated, which is what the mineral is supposed to protect the owner from.  Probably due to its resemblance to wine.  It gets its colore from the presence of Iron and other elements substituting into the crystal lattice.  This is called doping and is responsible for all color in quart and other minerals.

Geology

Keith Patton