Geology/Rock found in yard

Question
rock 1
rock 1  

rock 2
rock 2  
Hello, I found this rock/fossil in my backyard. I live in Springfield Twp., Michigan. I have never seen anything quite like it, and it is quite heavy. I am simply curious. Thanks.

Answer
Hi Charles,
From what I can see in the image I don't think you have a fossil.  I don't see any obvious critter parts or structures.  Most fossils in Michigan will be corals and I don't see any evidence of them.  Sometimes ancient worms will burrow through sediment and create channels but they are usually backfilled and solid.  

It looks like a block of limestone (also common in Michigan).  I think all the channels you are seeing are due to water erosion.  These structures are not particularly rare but you can often find the here.  Here's an example of some rock layers that exhibit erosional characteristics much like you rock:

http://www.123rf.com/photo_3206546_rock-patterns-formed-by-water-erosion-in-zion

Here's another:
http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-64056592/stock-photo-hole-patterns-in-sandstone-

Hope this helps.
Bob

Geology

C. Robert Reszka, Jr.