Geology/Rock found in yard

rock 1
rock 1  

rock 2
rock 2  
Hello, I found this rock/fossil in my backyard. I live in Springfield Twp., Michigan. I have never seen anything quite like it, and it is quite heavy. I am simply curious. Thanks.

Hi Charles,
From what I can see in the image I don't think you have a fossil.  I don't see any obvious critter parts or structures.  Most fossils in Michigan will be corals and I don't see any evidence of them.  Sometimes ancient worms will burrow through sediment and create channels but they are usually backfilled and solid.  

It looks like a block of limestone (also common in Michigan).  I think all the channels you are seeing are due to water erosion.  These structures are not particularly rare but you can often find the here.  Here's an example of some rock layers that exhibit erosional characteristics much like you rock:

Here's another:

Hope this helps.

C. Robert Reszka, Jr.

I can answer any general geology question (rocks, minerals, stratigraphy, geomorphology etc.). My expertise is in the geology of the Michigan Basin, PreCambrian, Paleozoic and Recent. I can answer questions concerning mining and petroleum exploration and production and the laws concerning those activities. I can also answer questions concerning stratigraphy of the Michigan Basin. I will also answer questions about mineral and rock collecting in the Basin. I won`t be able to answer many specific questions on hydrology, geophysics or geochemistry. I may be able to answer very general questions in those venues.

I have been working for the State of Michigan for 36 years as a Geologist and a Resource Analyst. I have experience with Subsurface Geology and Petroleum Geology, mining in Michigan, and Sand Dune Mining and Protection issues.

Michigan Basin Geological Society

Decade of North American Geology.
Bedrock Geology of Michigan

BS Wayne State University