Respected Sir,

Can you please tell me that Balkassar, Joyamir, Fimkassar and Missakiswal Petroleum Fields are located in which Geographic Direction ( North, South etc ) in Potwar Basin Pakistan. Also mention some reference of papers or books to study Potwar Basin.

I will be thankful to you.

Dear Ali,

Thank you very much for asking me this nice question.

These oilfields of Potwar Basin are located from South towards southwest of Islamabad.
Balkassar is 90 Km SW of Islamabad, Joya Mair is eastward of Balkassar and 80 Km to the South, Fimakkasr is 60 Km to the South, Missa Kiswal about 40 km South east of Islamabad.

Following references will be useful for further study;

1) Abbasi, I. A., and R. McElroy, 1991, Thrust kinematics of the Kohat Plateau, Trans-Indus Salt Range, Pakistan: Journal of Structural Geology, v. 13, p. 319327

2) Gee, E. R., 1980, Salt Range series geological maps: Directorate of Overseas Surveys, United Kingdom, for the Government of Pakistan and Pakistan Geological Survey, scale 1:50,000,
6 sheets.

3)Izatt, C. N., 1990, Variation in thrust front geometry across the Potwar Plateau and Hazar/Kala Chitta hill ranges, northern Pakistan: Ph.D. thesis, Imperial College, London, England,
353 p.

4)Jaswal, T. M., R. J. Lillie, and R. D. Lawrence, 1997, Structure and evolution of the northern Potwar deformed zone, Pakistan: AAPG Bulletin, v. 81, p. 308328.

5)Jaume, S. C., and R. J. Lillie, 1988, Mechanics of the Salt Range-Potwar Plateau, Pakistan: a fold and thrust belt underlain by evaporites: Tectonics, v. 7, p. 5771.

6)Farah, A., M. A. Mizra, A. A. Ahmad, and M. A. Butt, 1977, Gravity field of the buried shield in the Punjab plain, Pakistan: Geological Society of America Bulletin, v. 88, p. 11471155.

7)Lillie, R. J., G. D. Johnson, M. Yousuf, A. S. H. Zamin, and R. S. Yeats, 1987, Structural development within the Himalayan foreland fold and thrust belt of Pakistan, in C. Beaumont and
A. J. Tankard, eds., Sedimentary basins and basin-forming mechanisms: Canadian Society of Petroleum Geologists Memoir 12, p. 379392.

8)McDougall, J. W., and A. Hussain, 1991, Fold and thrust propagation in the western Himalaya based on a balanced cross section of the Surghar range and Kohat Plateau, Pakistan: AAPG
Bulletin, v. 75, p. 463478.

9)Meissner, C. R., J. M. Master, M. A. Rashid, and M. Hussain, 1974,Stratigraphy of the Kohat Quadrangle, Pakistan: U.S. Geological Survey Professional Paper 716-D, 30 p.

10) Seeber, L., and J. G. Armbruster, 1979, Seismicity of the Hazara arc in northern Pakistan: decollement vs. basement faulting, in A. Farah and K. A. DeJong, eds., Geodynamics of Pakistan: Geological Survey of Pakistan, p. 131142.

11)Sercombe, W. J., M. A. Stratton, M. L. Albertin, W. P. Wilson, B. L. Roth, R. E. Nieuwenhuise, D. A. Pivnik, and R. A. Beck, 1994a, Wrench faulting in the northern Pakistan foreland region: The Leading Edge, v. 11, p. 11071110.

12) Tahirkheli, R. A. K., 1970, The geology of the Attock-Cherat range,west Pakistan: Geological Bulletin of the University of Peshawar, v. 5, p. 126.

13) Wynne, A. B., 1878, On the geology of the Salt Range in the Punjab: Geological Survey of India Memoir 14, p. 1313.

14)Beck, R. A., et al., 1995, Stratigraphic evidence for an early collision between northwest India and Asia: Nature, v. 373,
p. 5558.

15) Ahmed, W., Alam, S., 1990. Organic Geochemistry of Crude Oil from Potwar-Kohat Region. Pakistan Journal of Hydrocarbon Research, 2

16) Khan, M.A., Ahmed, R., Raza, H.A., Kemal, A., 1986. Geology of Petroleum in Kohat-Potwar Depression, Pakistan. Bulletin American Association of Petroleum Geologists, 70 (4). American Association of Petroleum Geologists, Tulsa, OK, United States.

17) Malik, A.M., 1979. Pressures Plague Pakistan's Potwar. Petroleum Engineer International, 51 (6). Hart Publications, Houston, TX, United

18)Pennock, E.S., Lillie, R.J., Zaman, A.S.H., Yousaf, M., 1989. Structural Interpretation of Seismic Reflection Data from Eastern Salt Range and Potwar Plateau, Pakistan. Bulletin American Association of Petroleum Geologists, 73 (7). American Association of Petroleum
Geologists, Tulsa, OK, United States.

19) Gee, E. R., 1948, Petroleum geology in Pakistan: Report of the 18th International
Geological Congress, part 6, p. 59-64.

20)Gill, W. D., 1952a, The stratigraphy of the Siwalik series in the northern Potwar, Punjab, Pakistan: Quarterly Journal of the Geological Society of London, v. 107, p. 375-394.

21)Zuberi, W. A., and E. P. Dubois, 1962, Basin architecture, West Pakistan:
Symposium on the Development of Petroleum Resources of Asia and Far East, UNECAFE (ESCAP) Bangkok, p. 272-275.

22) Sokolov, B. A., and S. H. A. Shah, 1966, Major tectonic features of Pakistan:
Science and Industry Pakistan, part I (Western Province), v. 4, no. 3, p. 175-199.

Hopefully, this will be helpful.

Please Rate this answer.

Syed Tariq Hasany

MY HUMBLE REQUEST. BEFORE SENDING A QUESTION PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULY. ANSWERING ONLY PUBLIC QUESTIONS. Ask questions of exploration of Petroleum, and specific regions for specific answers about Pakistan, Central Asia, Middle East and Far East. Ask questions of Business side of the petroleum Geology. Love to guide students and also Career related issues PRIVATE QUESTIONS on I am not expert of Hard rocks (Igneous and metamorphic rocks)Volcanic activity and related petrology, mineralogy and its exploration. BE SPECIFOC WHAT YOU WANT TO KNOW AND ASK WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT. Show me your determination and commitment to learn. PLEASE TRY TO WRITE RIGHT, PROPER AND CORRECT LANGUAGE. DO NOT USE TEXT(SMS)STYLE. Thanks TARIQ

Petroleum Exploration

Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd

In Pakistani and Asian Petroleum Confertence special Publications

BSc Honours in Geology and Master of Science degree in Petroleum Geology

Active member AAPG, SPE and PAPG Treasurer PAPG and AAPG Visiting Geoscientist