Mystery Rock
Mystery Rock  
I'm usually pretty good at Identifying my collection except this... First you have to understand I don't know where it is from. I bought a large jar of it from and elderly gentleman about 7 years ago. I live in Washington state. It could be Jasper, but it doesn't look like specimens I've purchased. The picture is of assorted pieces and colors. I took one of each side. The rock has a odd feel to it.... a little like Opal in that it's...kinda glassy I guess. I haven't checked the hardness, but I tried engraving a piece and didn't have any luck. It is lighter than you would expect it to be. Many of the stones have white areas...that part is almost has a greasy appearance. Colors range from white to blue, yellow and a deep orange.

Aberdeen Washington

Hi Luna,
I'm not sure of your question. It sounds like you want help with a specific specimen but there are over 50 in your picture. From what I can see there are some that look like possible fire opal (tea colored ones# or perhaps amber, some look like agate #the whiter ones#, and some might be quartz #the rest).  Although the bigger blue looks suspiciously like aquamarine or blue topaz.
Without better pictures and a bit more info I think that's the best I can do. To get a more definitive ID you might want to go to the Geology Department of a local college; they are happy to help identify rocks.  I also find that rock club members can help with rock ID. Go to this site;

to see if you can find a rock club near you.

Hope this helps.

C. Robert Reszka, Jr.

I can answer any general geology question (rocks, minerals, stratigraphy, geomorphology etc.). My expertise is in the geology of the Michigan Basin, PreCambrian, Paleozoic and Recent. I can answer questions concerning mining and petroleum exploration and production and the laws concerning those activities. I can also answer questions concerning stratigraphy of the Michigan Basin. I will also answer questions about mineral and rock collecting in the Basin. I won`t be able to answer many specific questions on hydrology, geophysics or geochemistry. I may be able to answer very general questions in those venues.

I have been working for the State of Michigan for 36 years as a Geologist and a Resource Analyst. I have experience with Subsurface Geology and Petroleum Geology, mining in Michigan, and Sand Dune Mining and Protection issues.

Michigan Basin Geological Society

Decade of North American Geology.
Bedrock Geology of Michigan

BS Wayne State University