Geology/Petroleum Geology

Question
Respected sir,
I have a question that why we are measuring salinity at a regular intervals during production testing of oil well, what is its significance.

Regards
Ali Mohammed Dar

Answer
Ali,

I may not be the right person to answer. However, while drilling and logging, a water salinity chart is established for the entire drilled section, particularly the aquifers of the potential reservoirs. Now selective perforations are tested and if cementation of casings
is poor then the water from deeper or shallower zones may infiltrate through the perforations being tested. This would cause a change in salinity established for that zone.

Similarly, lot of different fluids and chemicals from the drilling Mud  infiltrate around the well-bore, which are the first to come out as the testing begins. The regular testing  of the producing fluids, with time, establish that all the fluids and chemicals have been removed and the hole is now clean, and producing the virgin fluids. These test, however, continue through out the life of the reservoir.

Hope it is of help.  

Geology

Nusrat Kamal Siddiqui (Mr)