Geology/Petroleum Geology

sir please tell me about difference between petroleum system and petroleum prospect?

Dear Muhammad Amin Lakhan,

First, thank you for sending me this nice question.

Petroleum system  depends on the existence of elements such as source rock, porous reservoir rock, trap where petroleum should be  accumulated, impermeable or tight top and lateral seal that holds petroleum inside to escape away from the trap; consisted on the processes i.e., generation within source rock once  source rock gets thermally mature, expulsion from the source rock and migration and accumulation to the point where petroleum  should have accumulated. The study of all elements and processes is also known as Petroleum system assessment of the basin.

The term Prospect is generally referred to the location in subsurface where minerals deposits expected to yield. The same term is commonly used in the petroleum industry for referring any site where hydrocarbon are anticipated to present. For example, an oil company “A” geologists and their exploration team after interpreting the 3D seismic data and petroleum system assessment of Block “ Z “have come to the conclusion that a 25 Sq km  anticline is interpreted to the potential reservoir level known for its production  in the other parts of the block and also in the basin whereas the anticline  may contain up to 100 Million barrels recoverable sweet oil; this anticline will be termed as PROSPECT.

In oil industry it’s important that before assigning any site to the PROSPECT a detailed and to some extent conclusive geological and seismic evaluation must have been completed and all economic and technical benefits, risks and uncertainties should have thoroughly been discussed and understood. Any anticline that is identified on few seismic lines with not enough data to prove its’ real worth is termed as Lead. So Leads need to be converted to Prospect after greater study.

Hopefully, this helps.

Do not forget to Rate my answer if you are satisfied and happy.

Syed Tariq Hasany

MY HUMBLE REQUEST. BEFORE SENDING A QUESTION PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULY. ANSWERING ONLY PUBLIC QUESTIONS. Ask questions of exploration of Petroleum, and specific regions for specific answers about Pakistan, Central Asia, Middle East and Far East. Ask questions of Business side of the petroleum Geology. Love to guide students and also Career related issues PRIVATE QUESTIONS on I am not expert of Hard rocks (Igneous and metamorphic rocks)Volcanic activity and related petrology, mineralogy and its exploration. BE SPECIFOC WHAT YOU WANT TO KNOW AND ASK WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT. Show me your determination and commitment to learn. PLEASE TRY TO WRITE RIGHT, PROPER AND CORRECT LANGUAGE. DO NOT USE TEXT(SMS)STYLE. Thanks TARIQ

Petroleum Exploration

Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd

In Pakistani and Asian Petroleum Confertence special Publications

BSc Honours in Geology and Master of Science degree in Petroleum Geology

Active member AAPG, SPE and PAPG Treasurer PAPG and AAPG Visiting Geoscientist