Geology/Confused in selecting subject

Assalam o alaikum,
Sir, I have to choice a optional subject for M.Sc. , i m kind of confused in selecting geochemistry or sedimentology , and i like both. Would you plz guide me according to petroleum perspective that which field is dominating in  petroleum industry recently and coming future ?
Regards Hasan

Dear Hasan,

Thanks for sending me this question.

Sedimentology is the subject that help to appreciate the processes of depositing the essential reservoirs, seal rocks and source rocks. This means that you may predict the type of lithology of reservoir rocks, their extent and thickness if you are able to make its depositional model which is very helpful in petroleum exploration.

Organic geochemistry deals about the deposition of the organic substances in the rocks and the impact of temperature and pressure within the rock, more relevant its all about source rock. Petroleum Geochemistry is very useful scientific tool  to establish the petroleum system in any given basin which is based on the organic geochemical data and help explorationist in the petroleum exploration.

I would recommend you to keep Geochemistry as your optional subject.

Syed Tariq Hasany

MY HUMBLE REQUEST. BEFORE SENDING A QUESTION PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULY. ANSWERING ONLY PUBLIC QUESTIONS. Ask questions of exploration of Petroleum, and specific regions for specific answers about Pakistan, Central Asia, Middle East and Far East. Ask questions of Business side of the petroleum Geology. Love to guide students and also Career related issues PRIVATE QUESTIONS on I am not expert of Hard rocks (Igneous and metamorphic rocks)Volcanic activity and related petrology, mineralogy and its exploration. BE SPECIFOC WHAT YOU WANT TO KNOW AND ASK WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT. Show me your determination and commitment to learn. PLEASE TRY TO WRITE RIGHT, PROPER AND CORRECT LANGUAGE. DO NOT USE TEXT(SMS)STYLE. Thanks TARIQ

Petroleum Exploration

Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd

In Pakistani and Asian Petroleum Confertence special Publications

BSc Honours in Geology and Master of Science degree in Petroleum Geology

Active member AAPG, SPE and PAPG Treasurer PAPG and AAPG Visiting Geoscientist