Geology/Confused in selecting subject

Question
Assalam o alaikum,
Sir, I have to choice a optional subject for M.Sc. , i m kind of confused in selecting geochemistry or sedimentology , and i like both. Would you plz guide me according to petroleum perspective that which field is dominating in  petroleum industry recently and coming future ?
Regards Hasan

Answer
Dear Hasan,

Thanks for sending me this question.

Sedimentology is the subject that help to appreciate the processes of depositing the essential reservoirs, seal rocks and source rocks. This means that you may predict the type of lithology of reservoir rocks, their extent and thickness if you are able to make its depositional model which is very helpful in petroleum exploration.

Organic geochemistry deals about the deposition of the organic substances in the rocks and the impact of temperature and pressure within the rock, more relevant its all about source rock. Petroleum Geochemistry is very useful scientific tool  to establish the petroleum system in any given basin which is based on the organic geochemical data and help explorationist in the petroleum exploration.

I would recommend you to keep Geochemistry as your optional subject.

Regards  

Geology

Syed Tariq Hasany