Geology/Green rock

Question
Green rock
Green rock  
I found a few of these green stones. They have dark green to light green swirls to them. I don't know if these are the same because one is solid green the whole way through the rock and is flakey like flint rock. The other one has these pores in it that look like a normal rock inside of them. I have included a picture in hopes that we can finally figure out what these are. Thank you so much in advance.

Answer
Hi Nick,
Very nice specimens. You have examples of glass slag. It's basically rough glass from a blast furnace. This was probably from a glass making operation, although slag from an iron furnace can be very glassy.
It can have value as an antique since much was produced in the 19th century from iron smelting factories and from glass making facilities. It was used for commercial purposes and for lamps, and jewelry. I don't know how old your sample is or if there were any iron factories near the area. You might be able to find out more if you take it to a local university or rock club.

Here's a picture that looks much like yours.

http://www.forginglinks.net/2011/05/glass-and-iron/

Hope this helps.
Bob

Geology

C. Robert Reszka, Jr.