Geology/petroleum geology

Question
QUESTION: Assalam o aliqum sir my questions is 1 how many discoveries were made during 1956-1959 please name them 2 reservoir rock of upper indus basin 3 why trapped are formed in badin block although it is a plate form area i will be very thanful

ANSWER: Faizan,

You may refer the last pages of 'Gelogy and Tectonics of Pakistan' by Kazmi and Jan, where the list of discoveries has been given. For reservoirs of upper indus basin refer 'Petroleum Geology of Pakistan' by I.B. Kadri.

The pre-Tertiary period in Badin area underwent tensional tectonics resulting in Block Faulting in Lower Goru, which is the main trapping mechanism. The overlying Tertiary sequence has remained least affected by the tectonics, except the post-Eocene minor E-W comprssional regime that resulted in the west dipping Thar platform with the Karachi Embayment in further west.

QUESTION: Assalam o aliqum sir my questions is 1 what are the essential elements of reservoir rock please discuss? 2 history of Dhulian oil field? 3 can you explain two main functions of traps? 4 Is there any chance to discover any Giant hydrocarbon discovery in Indus basin I will be very thankfull

Answer
Faizan,

Again read the book by I.B. Kadri and also the different Proceedings of PAPG-SPE ATC's and you will find the answers. There is only one main function of a trap; just to trap the hydrocarbons. In my view the chances for finding a giant hydrocarbon field in the Indus basin are remote.

Geology

Nusrat Kamal Siddiqui (Mr)