Geology/Total in-ground global gold reserves?

How much is the estimated total in-ground global gold reserves?

Hi Amir,
According to the United States Geological Survey there's about 51,000 metric tons of gold in reserve (still in the ground, and proven to exist).  See;

Or visit the USGS site for information about gold and other minerals at;

Interestingly, they report that about 171,000 tons of gold have been mined world wide in all of least all they know of.

Hope this helps

C. Robert Reszka, Jr.

I can answer any general geology question (rocks, minerals, stratigraphy, geomorphology etc.). My expertise is in the geology of the Michigan Basin, PreCambrian, Paleozoic and Recent. I can answer questions concerning mining and petroleum exploration and production and the laws concerning those activities. I can also answer questions concerning stratigraphy of the Michigan Basin. I will also answer questions about mineral and rock collecting in the Basin. I won`t be able to answer many specific questions on hydrology, geophysics or geochemistry. I may be able to answer very general questions in those venues.

I have been working for the State of Michigan for 36 years as a Geologist and a Resource Analyst. I have experience with Subsurface Geology and Petroleum Geology, mining in Michigan, and Sand Dune Mining and Protection issues.

Michigan Basin Geological Society

Decade of North American Geology.
Bedrock Geology of Michigan

BS Wayne State University