Geology/Career planning; geology or environmental geology?

Salam Mr Tariq,

I have a bachelor degree in geology, but currently I'm working as a HSE practitioner in one of the big construction company in Malaysia for almost 2 years. However, I'm thinking to change my career to geologist and join the oil and gas industry. Now I'm a bit confuse and not sure which course I should take, could it be geology or environmental geology? Based on your experience and knowledge, could you please advice me, which major should I choose to make myself more capable to be in the oil industry. Please suggest which is the best university that offer this course. Thanks for you help.

Dear Jojie,

Thanks for sending me your question. I sincerely appreciate your willingness to work for oil and gas exploration industry. I would suggest to implement your career plan with two prong strategy.

Firstly, try to get an entry level job position with your present qualification in any oil company as I understand that there is a room for you to join industry without additional qualification.

Secondly, you may pursue a master program in Petroleum Geology or Petroleum Geoscience. Additional qualification will be greatly benefiting you in future.

I would recommend University of Malaysia (UOM)in Kuala Lumpur which offers both programs.

Please find the relevant link and I think you may have to find more details directly to the UOM.

Hope, this answer helps you.

Tariq Hasany  

Syed Tariq Hasany

MY HUMBLE REQUEST. BEFORE SENDING A QUESTION PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULY. ANSWERING ONLY PUBLIC QUESTIONS. Ask questions of exploration of Petroleum, and specific regions for specific answers about Pakistan, Central Asia, Middle East and Far East. Ask questions of Business side of the petroleum Geology. Love to guide students and also Career related issues PRIVATE QUESTIONS on I am not expert of Hard rocks (Igneous and metamorphic rocks)Volcanic activity and related petrology, mineralogy and its exploration. BE SPECIFOC WHAT YOU WANT TO KNOW AND ASK WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT. Show me your determination and commitment to learn. PLEASE TRY TO WRITE RIGHT, PROPER AND CORRECT LANGUAGE. DO NOT USE TEXT(SMS)STYLE. Thanks TARIQ

Petroleum Exploration

Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd

In Pakistani and Asian Petroleum Confertence special Publications

BSc Honours in Geology and Master of Science degree in Petroleum Geology

Active member AAPG, SPE and PAPG Treasurer PAPG and AAPG Visiting Geoscientist