Geology/Career planning; geology or environmental geology?

Question
Salam Mr Tariq,

I have a bachelor degree in geology, but currently I'm working as a HSE practitioner in one of the big construction company in Malaysia for almost 2 years. However, I'm thinking to change my career to geologist and join the oil and gas industry. Now I'm a bit confuse and not sure which course I should take, could it be geology or environmental geology? Based on your experience and knowledge, could you please advice me, which major should I choose to make myself more capable to be in the oil industry. Please suggest which is the best university that offer this course. Thanks for you help.

Answer
Dear Jojie,

Thanks for sending me your question. I sincerely appreciate your willingness to work for oil and gas exploration industry. I would suggest to implement your career plan with two prong strategy.

Firstly, try to get an entry level job position with your present qualification in any oil company as I understand that there is a room for you to join industry without additional qualification.

Secondly, you may pursue a master program in Petroleum Geology or Petroleum Geoscience. Additional qualification will be greatly benefiting you in future.

I would recommend University of Malaysia (UOM)in Kuala Lumpur which offers both programs.

Please find the relevant link and I think you may have to find more details directly to the UOM.

http://geology.um.edu.my/Brochure-MSc_programme_ForStudents-23APR10%20revised%20

Hope, this answer helps you.

Regards

Tariq Hasany  

Geology

Syed Tariq Hasany