Geology/geology of potowar basin pakistan

sir i m student of QAU ISLAMABAD.I m doing my thesis on meyal field of potowar area.sir there is normal faulting in basemnent rocks.while upper satrata of sedimentry origin is faulted reversily.sir tell me what may b the cause of this faulting difference.

The most obvious cause is post depositional compression, either before or after lithification.  Reverse or thrust faults are compressional, normal faults are due to tensional forces.

The basement rocks were faulted, then deposition occured and subsequent compressional forces caused the deposited sedimentary sequence to form thrust faults. The sediments could have become decoupled from the underlying basement and slid along the basement forming the thrust faults.  This phenomena is believed to have occured in th Appalachian Mts. of Virginia.

Keith Patton

I can answer questions concerning physical and historical geology, environmental geology/hydrology, environmental consulting, remote sensing/aerial photo interpretation, G&G computer applications, petroleum exploration, drilling, geochemistry, geochemical and microbiological prospecting, 3D reservoir modeling, computer mapping and drilling.I am not a geophysicist.

I have 24 years experience split between the petroleum and environmental industries. I have served as an expert witness in remote sensing, developmental geologist, exploration geologist, enviromental project manager, and subject matter expert in geology and geophysical software development.

American Association of Petroleum Geologists
American Association of Photogrammetrists and Remote Sensing

Bachelor and Master of Science
Registered Geologist in State of Texas