Geology/unconformity of upper indus basin

Question
dear sir,
please help me in learning the unconformity present in upper indus plain from ordovician-carbonifrous.

thank you

Answer
Dear Talha,

Thanks for sending me your brilliant question.

In the Central part of the Indian plate which covers area from central India and majority of the  Pakistani sedimentary basins(e.g complete Indus basin)has no record of about 210 million years (Middle Cambrian to Early Permian). There is no study available about this gap of geological time but various authors suggested explanations.

I am quoting D.N. Wadia's explanation from Book Geology of India (1891)

"These great groups of Palaeozoic strata do not occur at all in General, the Peninsular part of India, while their occurrence in the extra-Peninsular area also, with one exception, is outside the geographical limits proper of India, and confined to the northernmost borders of the Himalayas and to Upper Burma. In the Peninsula there exists, between the Vindhyan and the next
overlying (Upper Carboniferous) deposits, a great hiatus arising from a persistent epeirogenic uplift of the country during the ages that followed the deposition of the Vindhyan sediments.

The absence from India of these formations, constituting nearly three-fourths of the Palaeozoic history of the earth, is quite noteworthy, as it imparts to the Indian geological record,
especially of the Peninsula, a very imperfect and fragmentary character. The Himalayan occurrences of these rock-groups, referred to above, are restricted also to the northernmost or
Tibetan zone of the Himalayas, where a broad belt of marine fossiliferous sedimentary rocks extends from the western extremity, Hazara and Kashmir, through Spiti, Garhwal and Kumaon, to Nepal and even beyond, and in which representatives of almost all the rock-systems from Cambrian to Eocene are recognized."

When I was working on Punjab Platform area of Pakistan, which was later I presented in SPE-PAPG ATC 2007, Islamabad, one thing was apparently obvious that the tectonic dip was eastward during Paleozoic time to Jurassic and later the direction was changed towards westward as we see now as well. This change of dipping may be attributed to the massively significant uplifting and tilting of the Indian Plate during which time no sedimentation took place or at least we can say that so far no one has been able to identify the sediments of this missing time.

My paper link as follows

http://www.searchanddiscovery.com/documents/2012/50576hasany/ndx_hasany.pdf

Hope this answer will be helpful.

Please RATE this answer if you are satisfy and happy.

Regards

Tariq  

Geology

Syed Tariq Hasany