Geology/Career on petroleum geology

QUESTION: I am francis studying archaeology in nigeria. I would like to know if it would be possible to pursue a career in petroleum geology.and what the requirments would be.

ANSWER: Dear Francis,

For the petroleum geology, the ideal would be that you have a background of physics, chemistry or geology. Then it would be easier. Otherwise, it would be difficult for you to purse petroleum geology.

You may, fall in. If you have interest, you may get it very well.

QUESTION: To ur reply, i offered chemistry and physics in high school besides, wont i get this background knowledge of chemistry and physics at the beginning of the msc program?

Dear Francis,

Can you please check the program in details. I am not sure what scares you more.

I think at MSc level you should not be entering into an under graduate knowledge or basics. So, you must be able to learn it yourself rather than asking your professor. At MS level, most of the universities do not offer the fundamental knowledge. If so, you are lucky!

Farrukh Qayyum

I can answer to the questions related to the following disciplines mainly: geology, geophysics, general geomorphology, stratigraphy, seismic stratigraphy and sequence stratigraphy. I would like to answer Geophysical question too with keen interest specifically exploration related. I want to hear from users for their queries on exploration geophysics/geology. Especially, in the discipline of Reservoir Characterization from multi-discipline data. The questions related to basics and interpretational applications would be most welcome. I can not answer the questions related to astronomy, ecology/environmetal sciences, mineralogy and petrology/petrophysics. Such categories are not my discipline of experience. PLEASE avoid concise/short question. I expect you to write in details than expecting from my side. First try to Google your question / idea first or use the AllExperts search afterwards. This helps as most of the questions re-appear an in this manner I spend double time in answering the same question. I hope you understand.

Six years in different services with additional case studies of Pakistan, China, Saudi Arabia, North Sea, Africa and Netherlands offshore.

dGB Earth Sciences, The Netherlands. Please also visit my website (

Qayyum, F., de Groot, P., Hemstra, N., and Catuneanu,O., (in press) 4D Wheeler Diagrams Concept and Applications, Stratal and Time, Special Publication, The Geological Society, UK.

Qayyum, F., Hemstra, N., and Singh, R., 2013, A modern approach to build a 3D sequence stratigraphic framework, Oil and Gas Journal, Oct 7, 22-34.

Qayyum, F., Catuneanu, O., and de Groot, P., 2013, Developments and Future Trends in Wheeler Diagrams, 75th EAGE Conference & Exhibition incorporating SPE EUROPEC, London, UK, 10-13 June.

On the horizon, de Groot, P., Qayyum, F., Oilfield Technology, January 2013.

Attributes play important role in seismic interpretation, de Groot, P., Qayyum, F., Hart's E&P Magazine, p. 31-34, October 2012.

From 2D to 4D Wheeler Diagrams, F. Qayyum, P. de Groot, and N. Hemstra, William Smith Meeting 2012, London.

Building a Sequence Stratigraphic Framework from HorizonCube and Well Data F. Qayyum, P. de Groot, J. Yasin 74th EAGE Conference & Exhibition, 2012

An old favourite, F. Qayyum and P. de Groot, Oilfield Technology, March 2012.

Using 3D Wheeler diagrams in seismic interpretation the HorizonCube method F. Qayyum, P. de Groot,N. Hemstra First Break 30 (3), 103-109,2012

Unification of Geological Phenomena Associated with Geohazards in the Persian Gulf - A Case Study Using 2D Seismic Data AC A. Misaghi, C. Amirbehboudi, J. Hassanzadeh, S. 73rd EAGE Conference & Exhibition, 2011

Superimposed Geologic Features in Seismic Interpretation, F. Qayyum, Yousaf, S., Malik, D., Zaheer, R., Manzoor, M.H., PAPG/SPE Annual Technical Conference, 125-136, 2010

Low Gas-Saturation Effect on AVO Response P Khalid, F Qayyum, and Broseta, D. PAPG/SPE Annual Technical Conference, 125-136, 2010

Logical expressions a basic tool in reservoir characterization F. Qayyum, G. Akhter, Z. Ahmad Oil & gas journal 106 (41). 2008

Master in Philosophy with specialization in reservoir characterization by using Sequence Stratigraphy. And master in Geophysics with a case study of Punjab Platform.

Position Holder in Academics.

OMV, OGDCL, PPL, Dewan Petroleum, BG Group, Wintershall, RWE, Statoil, DNO, Petrobras ... are amongst some.