Geology/Flower Structure

Question
Hello Sir,
sir i am a Student of BS and i want to ask u about flower structures and wht are they and how are they formed? are there any Flower structures in the Meyal Area? if Any, can u provide me some literature over this Structure in Meyal because u did work on this area.
thanx

Answer
Dear Obaid,

Thanks for sending me your question.

The flower structures are usually associated in the zones where strike slip faulting deformed the earlier existing structures (fold and syclines) . There are two type of tectonic regimes 1)compressional or converging; in the areas of collision 2) in the areas of divergent or rifting.

Strike slip fault if takes place in convergent tectonic regime is termed as transpression whereas  in  rifting or divergent regime this phenomena is known as transtensional.

In the compressonal areas sedimentary strata forms positive flower structures due to folding and uplifting whereas negative flower structures are formed in the divergent regimes when strata drops or sinking down due to gravity faulting. This is probably the main and very supportive identifying factor when interpreting seismic sections.

In both type of tectonic regimes strike slip faults are responsible  to modify the existing structures with marked twisting effect.

In Meyal area, no apparent flower structures have been identified.

You can search couple of papers about Meyal over the net.

Regards

Tariq

Geology

Syed Tariq Hasany