Geology/Mineral Potential In Pakistan

Question
"Sir,
Iran and Pakistan Are Located On The Tethyan Magmatic Arc,Due To This Huge Reserves Of Copper and Gold(Sar chashmeh in Iran and Saindak and Reko Diq In Pakistan) Have Been Found Out As Well As Substantial Reserves of Iron Ore.On This Very Area,Vast Reserves Of Good Quality Anthracite Coal Has Been Found Out In (Kerman)Iran.Do You Think The Same Can Be Found Out In Balochistan On This Belt What Are The Geology and Physical Conditions Required For Coal?
Secondly Rare Earth Reserves worth Trillion Dollars Have Been Found Out In Afghanistan What Are The Prospects Of Pakistan Just Across The Border?
How Do You Rate The Potential Of Tantalum Coltan and Rare Earth Metal Reserves in Pakistan????????????
Thank You,

Answer
Dear Saeed

Itís a very good question. I will try to give a good answer by putting  together what I remember on the subject.

Almost all of the porphyry copper deposits of Iran are formed in the Urumiah-Dokhtar magmatic arc of Eocene-Pleistocene age. But their size and number are not uniformly distributed throughout the arc. Probably the uneven distribution has occurred because of different conditions during slab subduction and melting.

I am negligent about the tectonomagmatic setting of neighboring countries but as far as I know the Urumiah-Dokhtar magmatic arc doesnít continue to the neighboring Pakistan because it is formed as a result of subduction of Tethys II (Neo-Tethys) oceanic lithosphere under Iranian micro-continents. The subduction is still going on in Makran are of Iran (Southeastern Iran) and the arc reaches its southeastern end in this region. Hence if there are porphyry copper ores in Pakistan they must not be related to Urumiah-Dokhtar magmatic arc.

As for coal, I donít know any coal mines in the Zagros thrust-and-fold melt region of Iran. At the northern Iran in the Alborz mountains there are numerous coal mines. Northern Iran has had very different conditions than to the central Iran and regions to the south prior to Cretaceous. Abundant occurrence of coal mines in this region is attributed to it being positioned in a more tropical region than others during Triassic. Apparently this region continues into Afghanistan and I guess coal mines can be found there. Cental Iran (Lut block) has been a craton and I guess the climatic conditions have been suitable for formation of coal there.

Berberian and King (1981) have elaborated on the paleogeography of the region and as I remember they have talked about the locations where coal is most abundantly formed. You can download this article and a few more from the following locations:

http://www.adrive.com/public/QV6h9z/Richards (2003) Metallogeny of the Neo-Tethys arc in central Iran.pdf

http://www.adrive.com/public/eCxHRx/Omrani et al. (2008) Arc-magmatism and subduction history beneath the Zagros Mountains, Iran, A new report of adakites and geodynamic consequences.pdf

http://www.adrive.com/public/PtXxdP/Berberian and King (1981) Towards a paleogeography and tectonic evolution of lran.pdf

I hope that my comments are helpful to you. Please feel free to ask more questions if needed. Anyway, Iím sorry for the late reply.
Yours  

Geology

Meisam Rasouli Beirami