Geology/petroleum geology

salam. i am in 7th semister nw i selected for my thesis topic is petroleum system of lower indus basin and the second one is potentatial area in pakistan with respect to biostratigraphy.plz tell can company or organization will give data and also tell me one of the best topic in petroleum prospect .

Dear Mutahir,

Thanks for sending me your question. I really appreciate it.

In order to meet your studies objective I would suggest you; first try to find information about petroleum system of Lower Indus Basin (LIB) through published papers and books. There is a lot of work on this subject and available in public domain literature. Key results you need from literature is about various source rock and their properties.

You need wells data that helps you for quantitative analysis, for example Gross reservoir thickness, lithofacies, net to gross thickness and porosity and permeability (from well logs) and fluids data which require logs (in LAS format) and well reports. If you are using  petrophysical software for each well interpretation then you need digital data of all wells logs.

I understand that you are probably looking to get seismic data as well in order to identify different structures in LIB. In this regard you may contact companies through your university department and get data only if company wishes to participate and has some common interest in your studies but entirely up to the company's decision if they want to release data or not.

Other method is to send an official request to acquire all data from government's department who looks after data archives. Usually, it's a cumbersome process but if you write your case strongly then hopefully you will get it. In your request, you should include  a justification that elaborate why you want it and what benefits industry may get after your course completion.

I don't really understand what you mean by penitential area in Pakistan with respect to biostratigraphy. Can you elaborate please?

There are better subjects to do a project work and I would advise to seriously consider selecting better title of your project.

Allexperts site provides an spell check facility at the time of composing question or answer please use it to look your  text more professional and without spelling and punctuation errors.

Thanks for your time for writing me and one last thing; do not forget to RATE this answer.

Syed Tariq Hasany

MY HUMBLE REQUEST. BEFORE SENDING A QUESTION PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULY. ANSWERING ONLY PUBLIC QUESTIONS. Ask questions of exploration of Petroleum, and specific regions for specific answers about Pakistan, Central Asia, Middle East and Far East. Ask questions of Business side of the petroleum Geology. Love to guide students and also Career related issues PRIVATE QUESTIONS on I am not expert of Hard rocks (Igneous and metamorphic rocks)Volcanic activity and related petrology, mineralogy and its exploration. BE SPECIFOC WHAT YOU WANT TO KNOW AND ASK WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT. Show me your determination and commitment to learn. PLEASE TRY TO WRITE RIGHT, PROPER AND CORRECT LANGUAGE. DO NOT USE TEXT(SMS)STYLE. Thanks TARIQ

Petroleum Exploration

Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd

In Pakistani and Asian Petroleum Confertence special Publications

BSc Honours in Geology and Master of Science degree in Petroleum Geology

Active member AAPG, SPE and PAPG Treasurer PAPG and AAPG Visiting Geoscientist