Geology/Igneous Rocks of Troodos Ophiolite

Good evening.  I was wondering if there was a simple (ish) way of identifying the differences between ie Wehrlite, Dunite with Chromite, Harzburgite and Serpentinite which I have found in the Troodos mountains whilst here on holiday in Cyprus.  The samples I have collected don't seem as distinct as, say, the pillow lavas and I would like to know which ones I have!

Interesting problem,
my advice is that you pl. contact some local geologist in Cyprus. The Torrdos ophiolite suite has been extensively studied.

Your problem is to identify hand specimen?
pl. take help of a local geologist who would be able to show you and explain the subtle variations within the different samples. A text book would not be of much help to you.

Would be happy to answer : General Geology, Engineering Geology, Economic Geology, Geomorphology, Geoenvironment, Tectonics, Natural Resources inclusive of Rocks & Minerals, Exploration, Science Policy etc.

Geological-Geotechnical Solutions and professional advice. I have over 34 years of professional experience of working as a geologist in diverse mountainous terrain. I have professional skills for planning. programming, executing and monitoring of : (1) Engineering Geological investigations in Hydropower and Developmental projects, (2) Landslide and Disaster Management etc. (3) Natural Resource Management and Programming (4) Geological Mapping (5) Geoenvironmental Management (6) Mineral Exploration (7) Water Resources Management, (8) Integrated Watershed Management, (9) Training on - Natural Resource Management, Geoenvironmental Management, Waste Management, Geohazards, Geotechnical Investigations, Data acquisition & interpretations, (10) R&D Initiatives and Societal issues etc.

ex-Geological Survey of India. Retired Director now Geo-Consultant and Advisor -HIGEOS India

Departmental Publications mostly

M.Tech.(Applied Geology), University of Roorkee (now IIT Roorkee).

Worked in the Geological Survey of India for aabout 32 years. Presently - GeoConsultant & Advisor - HIGEOS India