Geology/Earthquake Resistant Structures.

Earthquake Resistant Proof Structure
Earthquake Resistant P  
QUESTION: Dear N.K.Agarwal‎‎‎‎‎‎‎

Is it possible to build 100 % Earthquake resistant proof buildings and structures ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER:  Nice question.
Hope you would realise that there can never be a 0% failure or 100% successful EQ resistant structural/building situations.

Most of the countries have their own codes for it or follow some International codes, yet the structures/buildings may not be code compliant - who monitors it during and after construction.

Now possibility to have 100% compliance - this depends upon the size /magnitude of EQ risk or damage perceptions - which indirectly are  related to safety factors and CBRs.

The codes are based on probabilistic situations as conceived from past or immediate past experience; the planet earth exposes sections having EQ signatures beyond our comprehension and far beyond the need to build 100% EQ resistant structures/buildings.  

I believe that we must :
(1) build codes complaint structures/buildings and
(2) periodically up grade our codes with advancement of knowledge and availability of technology.
(3) develop or bring -in -place a mechanism that monitors compliance of codes during design-construction and post construction - this is the weakest link when we consider EQ safe buildings - we have little or no space for EQ damage prevention and reduction strategies for  “our daily life”.

QUESTION: Dear N.K.Agarwal

Thank you.

Is it possible to renovate/redevelop already built structures viz buildings,
bridges etc for earthquake resistant proofing ?.

i.e. Structures which are more than 3 years old.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Yes to some extent, would depend upon its present structural status vis-a-vis site conditions.
Retrofitting of dwellings/building is being successfully  tried to make them EQ resistant to some extent (c.f. CBR as well).

I am not sure if it can be successful in case of multi- storied buildings or bridges etc.

In this connection you may pl. contact NDMA and/or prof. Dr. A.S.  Arya who has done lot of work in EQ resistant designs and retrofitting etc.

QUESTION: Dear N.K.Agarwal

Thank you.

Are Quality certifications awarded by Civil consulting cos for
Earthquake resistant proofing to Builders ?.

i.e. Quality certification indicating "This Structure
is certified for withstanding earthquake of magnitude 7 by
XYZ Civil Consulting co".

The above is just a example from my end.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

A very important and interesting question that should also be put before NDMA.

I do not think India has any such body other than the architects on whose signature the local self govt. agencies - State development agencies approve the plan.

I think we need to have a mechanism for :

(i)   Certification as the structure can withstand EQ of magnitude "M" or the seismic parameters etc.
(ii)   certification during construction that indeed the structure is being constructed as per the passed EQ certification and
(iii)   the completion certificate mentioning that indeed the structure is EQ design certificate complaint.

Would be happy to answer : General Geology, Engineering Geology, Economic Geology, Geomorphology, Geoenvironment, Tectonics, Natural Resources inclusive of Rocks & Minerals, Exploration, Science Policy etc.

Geological-Geotechnical Solutions and professional advice. I have over 34 years of professional experience of working as a geologist in diverse mountainous terrain. I have professional skills for planning. programming, executing and monitoring of : (1) Engineering Geological investigations in Hydropower and Developmental projects, (2) Landslide and Disaster Management etc. (3) Natural Resource Management and Programming (4) Geological Mapping (5) Geoenvironmental Management (6) Mineral Exploration (7) Water Resources Management, (8) Integrated Watershed Management, (9) Training on - Natural Resource Management, Geoenvironmental Management, Waste Management, Geohazards, Geotechnical Investigations, Data acquisition & interpretations, (10) R&D Initiatives and Societal issues etc.

ex-Geological Survey of India. Retired Director now Geo-Consultant and Advisor -HIGEOS India

Departmental Publications mostly

M.Tech.(Applied Geology), University of Roorkee (now IIT Roorkee).

Worked in the Geological Survey of India for aabout 32 years. Presently - GeoConsultant & Advisor - HIGEOS India