Geology/Earthquake Resistant Structures.

Earthquake Resistant Proof Structure
Earthquake Resistant P  
QUESTION: Dear Nusrat‎‎‎‎‎‎‎

Is it possible to build 100 % Earthquake resistant proof buildings and structures ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Prashant,

I am not an expert in this field. However, if the foundation and the main structure apart from strong material and the design have a mobility in between, and even the main structure is segmented in the same manner then we might have a structure that may survive earth quakes as intense as 9 on Richter(R) scale.

It is rare to have earthquakes of 9 and above intensity, anyway.

I believe that we should not waste time on the science of prediction of earthquakes.  As it is said 'Earthquakes are inevitable, disaster are not'. We just make our buildings strong enough to hold against 7-8 (R)magnitude at least, and then leave it to the Nature to decide our fate.

Man can never defend himself against Nature. Its range of forces knows no bounds... from mountain building to calmness. In view of this, in my opinion, we can not have 100 % Earthquake resistant proof buildings and structures. Do you agree?

QUESTION: Dear Nusrat

Is it possible to renovate/redevelop already built structures viz buildings,
bridges etc for earthquake resistant proofing ?.

i.e. Structures which are more than 3 years old.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Prashant,

In my opinion no.  

QUESTION: Dear Nusrat

Thank you.

Are Quality certifications awarded by Civil consulting cos for
Earthquake resistant proofing to Builders ?.

i.e. Quality certification indicating "This Structure
is certified for withstanding earthquake of magnitude 7 by
XYZ Civil Consulting co".

The above is just a example from my end.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

The certificate just can't be given just like that. The consultant has to be involved from day one. The building design will have to be approved in the first place for an earthquake resistant building. He/she then has to oversee the building in the construction phase with interim certification at different sub-phases of construction. And only then the certificate would be an authentic document.
There are people who would give a certificate much after the construction has been completed. But it is unethical on both the parties to arrange this kind of certificate. Yes, it can complete the formalities of a file, but at the expense of risk to those who live in that building.

Nusrat Kamal Siddiqui (Mr)

I am a petroleum exploration geologist with about 40+ years of diversified experience. I can answer questions on stratigraphy, log interpretation, field studies based on set of logs and core results, general geology etc. Can provide guidance for career planning in earth sciences. Can not help in questions about hard rocks, igneous petrology & mineralogy, sequence stratigraphy and seismic.

Petroleum Exploration - field geology, stratigraphy, prospect generation, interpretation of satellite imagery (visual), log interpretation.

Retired in May, 2006 as Senior Manager Exploration from Pakistan Petroleum Limited after serving 26 years. Since then continuing in active service with petroleum exploration companies.A cumulative experience of about 40 years covers 30 years in petroleum exploration, 5 years hydrogeology experience in Libya, and about 5 years of dam geology in Pakistan.

-AAPG Bulletin (Vol.88, July, 2004); paper on Sui Main Limestone (Eocene), a prolific gas reservoir in Pakistan. -Have presented papers on diversified topics ranging from spirituality, flood control, remote sensing and off course geology in France, Nepal, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, UAE, Kashmir, India and Pakistan that have been published in respective Special Proceedings. -ONGC Bulletin(India) Vol. 44, Number 2, December, 2009; Chapter 19.A & 19.B on basin architecture and stratigraphy of Pakistan, p.402-474.

BSc Honours in Geology and Master of Science in Petroleum and Structural Geology. PGD from ITC, The Netherlands.

-Remained Active Member of AAPG from 1990-2006; founding member of PAPG (a local affiliate of AAPG). -Life member of SEGMITE & AGID, and Senior Editor of SEGMITE magazine. -Member of the Board of Studies, i. Department of Petroleum & Gas Engineering (BUITMS, Quetta), and ii. Geology Department, Sindh University, Jamshoro. -Member of Stratigraphic Committee of Pakistan. -Represented Mining Journal, UK in Pakistan till 2007. -Chairman of Annual Technical Conference (ATC)& Oil Show, an SPE/PAPG annual event, in 2003. -Chairman Technical Committee (ATC, 2002).