Geology/geology/Stratigraphy

Question
Sir my question is why we separated Murree Formation and Kamlial Formation because both having same facies and environment of deposition also the age is same, How we can differentiate it in the field?

Answer
Mohib,

Good question.

Broadly speaking, the Murree Formation (FM) dominantly constitutes dark red to maroon color siltstone and clay inter-bedded with red, brown and gray color sandstone. The Kamlial FM, on the other hand, consists of purple-gray and dark brick-red sandstone which contains inter-beds of hard purple shale and yellow and purple intraformational conglomerates. The color and the general lithological description may not be a typical differentiation factor but you may notice that Kamlial is dominantly sandstone while Murree is dominantly siltstone and clay; though the color is also helpful in the field as the Murree imparts a maroonish hue to the terrain, as you see around Rawalpindi/Islamabad.

However, Kamlial is distinguished from the underlying Murree Fm by its usually spheroidal weathering and heavy mineral content in which tourmaline dominates epidote. In Murree Fm epidote dominates tourmaline.

During drilling high pressures may be encountered against Kamlial's basal part; apart from an operational problem it is otherwise a helpful indicator that the Muree top is not that far.

I suggest you also read the description in the book by Kazmi and Abbasi (2008).

Geology

Nusrat Kamal Siddiqui (Mr)