Geology/petroleum exploration

Question
QUESTION: Goodday sir, I'm kanu by name, a geology/mining student and am in my final year.
I'll be doing my project soon and sincerely I can't come up with a topic, please I kindly ask if you can assist me with a project topic/topics related to petroleum exploration.

ANSWER: Kanu:

I am not sure what you mean by project.  Are you referring to a "capstone" project that you have to complete your senior year, or a thesis for completion of your masters degree?

In order to pick a project it would be  good idea to determine the area of geology that you are most interested in and for which you have an aptitude.

Currently in petroleum exploration, the rage is directional drilling and fracking in order to exploit oil and gas bearing shales that were once thought to be non productive due to their low permiability and porosity.

That might be a good project.  You could present the workflow, detailing the entire process, from drilling the directional well using geosteering techniques, through fracking, completion and production.

If your school has access to geology and geophysics software, you could do a demonstration, if not, you might be able to get the information you need, screen captures etc from the internet.

QUESTION: Thank you sir!
Yes sir it is a project to complete my senoir year.
Please sir in directional drilling and fracking, does it entail all bout completions to productions?

Answer
It can include that if you want it to.  

I am not familiar with the exact way they complete the horizontal wells but it differs from how they complete conventional wells since, the perforated zone may run for kilomters instead of tens of meters.  So the completions are a bit more complex than conventional vertical well complettions.

Geology

Keith Patton