Geology/Do I have pertrified wood and a meteorite?

QUESTION: I was wondering if I could email you some photos of a piece of pertrifed wood and what may possibly be a small piece of meteorite that I have had for quite some years....if you could identify them as such?

ANSWER: Hi Christy,

You can certainly send me photos.  That's the best way.  When you take them take more than one.  Get a couple different angles.  Also put something in the image for scale; a coin works nicely.

Just send me another question and attach the images.  I'll be looking for them.

petrified wood?
petrified wood?  

QUESTION: Thank you. The wood weighs 10.4 oz and the rock weighs .4 oz. I would really like to know if I have something here

Hi again Christy,
The bigger piece is certainly petrified wood.  Check out this site to give you an idea of a similar piece;

Some pieces are preserved well enough for an expert to tell what kind of tree it originally was.  I am not forester enough for that but it looks good enough for someone with the right  expertise to do that.  That's a very nice piece!

The other one is more problematical.  It does look like a meteorite, but erosion can create the same kinds of depressions in the surface of a rock.  Is it even a little magnetic?  If a magnet sticks even a little it could mean it is a meteorite.  But chondritic meteorites are just rock, and don't have to be made of enough iron to make them magnetic.  Still, it does have the look of a meteorite so, barring further study, I'd say it is.  

Do you have a university near you that may have a geology or astronomy department?  If you do, it would be best to take it there.  To actually hold the specimen is the best way to identify it, and I imagine, one of the profs there would be able to tell you what you have.  Also, a local rock club might be able to give you an idea as well.  I have found that rock collectors are very good at I.D. of rocks and minerals that they collect.  

Hope this helps.

C. Robert Reszka, Jr.

I can answer any general geology question (rocks, minerals, stratigraphy, geomorphology etc.). My expertise is in the geology of the Michigan Basin, PreCambrian, Paleozoic and Recent. I can answer questions concerning mining and petroleum exploration and production and the laws concerning those activities. I can also answer questions concerning stratigraphy of the Michigan Basin. I will also answer questions about mineral and rock collecting in the Basin. I won`t be able to answer many specific questions on hydrology, geophysics or geochemistry. I may be able to answer very general questions in those venues.

I have been working for the State of Michigan for 36 years as a Geologist and a Resource Analyst. I have experience with Subsurface Geology and Petroleum Geology, mining in Michigan, and Sand Dune Mining and Protection issues.

Michigan Basin Geological Society

Decade of North American Geology.
Bedrock Geology of Michigan

BS Wayne State University