Geology/Petroleum Geology

Question
QUESTION: Dear Sir, while drilling a well at a depth of 2600m we got claystone with white to be precise milky white, soft, cuttings. i thought that they may be siltstone but while seeing the grain size it is mostly clayey in nature. can you please tell me which rock it could be. And one more doubt how to differentiate Marl and Kalonitic clay in cuttings.

Thank you and have a nice day
Regards
Ali Mohammed Dar

ANSWER: Ali,

I will try to reply only the second part of your question. Marl is a mixture of clastic and calcareous contents, where as the kaolinitic clay is anticipated to be dominantly clastic.The clay cuttings would be plastic and smooth in nature, while the marls generally do not form good shaped cuttings, have relatively larger grain size and also have a higher solubility in acidic fluid due to the higher calcareous content.  An acid would help in differentiating between clay and a marl. A clay with high calcareous content may also fall in the category of a marl.

QUESTION: Thanks sir for your time bound response, one more question is,
Can you please tell me the significance of determining constant salinity while reverse out or subduing the well.

with regards
Ali MOhammed

Answer
Ali,

Sorry, I am not a drilling expert. However, logically it needs to be done just to keep a check that no changes are taking place in the original composition and consistency of the mud, which also includes monitoring the volume of returns in the mud-pit. You may appreciate that any change would indicate something happening within the well e.g. loss, gain and depending upon the salinity of the formation water the salinity would change in either way.
You may contact a drilling expert too.

Geology

Nusrat Kamal Siddiqui (Mr)