Geology/Rock specimen

Rock 1
Rock 1  
Hello Dr.

I have a piece of a rock and have been wondering from a long time what type of stone or mineral as i have no clue about it. if you can help me identify.

i have also attached pictures.

Hi Bajawa,
You have a nice specimen of micaceous schist.  A schist is a rock that has been changed through the application of heat and pressure.  It's called "metamorphic".  There are many kinds, but yours was changed when the temperature and pressure were very high.  It's usually found where large areas have undergone metamorphism.  

There are different minerals in your rock but the predominant one is the one that looks like thin layers.  That is a mineral called "mica".  Probably a variety of "muscovite".  Some of the light colored mineral is probably "quartz", and the dark blobs are either "hornblende" or, more probably, garnets.

Here's a site with some pictures of different metamorphic rocks, including some that resemble yours;

Hope this helps.

C. Robert Reszka, Jr.

I can answer any general geology question (rocks, minerals, stratigraphy, geomorphology etc.). My expertise is in the geology of the Michigan Basin, PreCambrian, Paleozoic and Recent. I can answer questions concerning mining and petroleum exploration and production and the laws concerning those activities. I can also answer questions concerning stratigraphy of the Michigan Basin. I will also answer questions about mineral and rock collecting in the Basin. I won`t be able to answer many specific questions on hydrology, geophysics or geochemistry. I may be able to answer very general questions in those venues.

I have been working for the State of Michigan for 36 years as a Geologist and a Resource Analyst. I have experience with Subsurface Geology and Petroleum Geology, mining in Michigan, and Sand Dune Mining and Protection issues.

Michigan Basin Geological Society

Decade of North American Geology.
Bedrock Geology of Michigan

BS Wayne State University