Geology/geology

Question
Dear Sir, Please define what is difference between MWD and LWD drilling ?

Answer
Dear Sajid,

Thanks for sending me your question.

MWD is the abbreviation of Measurement While Drilling. This is a tool run in wellbore by means of drill pipe bottom hole assembly or BHA and usually placed near the bit.
MWD tool provides following  information to the driller and wellsite geologist about the well bore although type of information may vary from service company to service company who operates MWD tools.

1) direction or Azimuth
2) inclination of the well bore in degrees
3)tool face  direction
4)Borehole pressure
5) temperature
6) Torque
7) RPM

All information gathered through MWD sensors housed in the robust tool are stored in the tool recording devices and also transmitted through mud pulser telemetry  or by the help of Electomagnetic frequency communicator or by wired drill pipe.

LWD is the abbreviation of Logging While Drilling and it may provide real time information about the Petrophysical properties of the formation and wellbore. Not all tools always run inside the wellbore with BHA together but may be combined so it has an option depending on the level of information required.

The following standard logs can be run in the  LWD tools.

1) Gamma Ray
2) Density
3) Caliper
4)Sonic
5)Resistivity
6)Spontaneous Potential (SP)

So in short, MWD  provides information about the wellbore which is essential for drillers whereas LWD provides information which is essentially required by wellsite Geologist and exploration department people so they can monitor the geology of the drilled section.

Hope, this may help.

regards

Geology

Syed Tariq Hasany