Hello Mr. Kamal,

I am pleased to meet you.I studied geology as a course in school with a passion to become a principal environmental analyst. My aim is to be able to bring about constructive discussions while collaborating with researchers to find solutions to some environmental problems e.g climate change.

After graduation, I worked as a business development person before moving into project management.Right now, I need to advance my career in earth sciences in the area of sustainable development.At one time ,I thought that having a certification in Health and Safety Engineering will improve my chances of getting a job in the oil and gas sector.

I am presently working for an NGO (Non Governmental Organization)but at times I feel completely out of place because my employer does not give me the chance to express myself as I want to.

I have a great attitude and can make friends easily both at work and home. Employers find me as a unique person in terms of my positive attitude and creativity but I realy don't see myself working as a full staff,maybe just for a while, but not for long.

Please advice me on what to do.

I appreciate your kindness.

I am surprised that you are having problems to pursue a successful career in HSE. This is a subject which is very much 'IN' these days. You probably are located in a wrong country where due importance is not given to safety. This subject is such that unless there is a full support from the top management, people do not take it seriously.

In such conditions it is better if you acquire other expertise, and your combination with the HSE will then have an added bonus.

You seem to have a very balanced personality, whose potential is not being utilized/maximized by your employer(s). An unfortunate situation. However, it is of no use to talk about the constraints; the art is how to by-pass them!

Your line of action to get additional and different expertise is just a right decision. But you are the best judge about what subject should be chosen. As I mentioned above, your HSE certification and experience will still remain a very useful qualification of yours.

Get a good handle on computer usage; not just the MS Office. Your command on English language is good. Improve upon your report writing, and presentation skills. Be a dedicated worker, but also let people know what you are doing. Don't be a silent worker.
Van Kilmer, a German actor once said, and I quote " My only mistake is that I thought my work would speak for itself!". Those days are now gone, when it used to happen.  

Best of luck in your endeavors.  

Nusrat Kamal Siddiqui (Mr)

I am a petroleum exploration geologist with about 40+ years of diversified experience. I can answer questions on stratigraphy, log interpretation, field studies based on set of logs and core results, general geology etc. Can provide guidance for career planning in earth sciences. Can not help in questions about hard rocks, igneous petrology & mineralogy, sequence stratigraphy and seismic.

Petroleum Exploration - field geology, stratigraphy, prospect generation, interpretation of satellite imagery (visual), log interpretation.

Retired in May, 2006 as Senior Manager Exploration from Pakistan Petroleum Limited after serving 26 years. Since then continuing in active service with petroleum exploration companies.A cumulative experience of about 40 years covers 30 years in petroleum exploration, 5 years hydrogeology experience in Libya, and about 5 years of dam geology in Pakistan.

-AAPG Bulletin (Vol.88, July, 2004); paper on Sui Main Limestone (Eocene), a prolific gas reservoir in Pakistan. -Have presented papers on diversified topics ranging from spirituality, flood control, remote sensing and off course geology in France, Nepal, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, UAE, Kashmir, India and Pakistan that have been published in respective Special Proceedings. -ONGC Bulletin(India) Vol. 44, Number 2, December, 2009; Chapter 19.A & 19.B on basin architecture and stratigraphy of Pakistan, p.402-474.

BSc Honours in Geology and Master of Science in Petroleum and Structural Geology. PGD from ITC, The Netherlands.

-Remained Active Member of AAPG from 1990-2006; founding member of PAPG (a local affiliate of AAPG). -Life member of SEGMITE & AGID, and Senior Editor of SEGMITE magazine. -Member of the Board of Studies, i. Department of Petroleum & Gas Engineering (BUITMS, Quetta), and ii. Geology Department, Sindh University, Jamshoro. -Member of Stratigraphic Committee of Pakistan. -Represented Mining Journal, UK in Pakistan till 2007. -Chairman of Annual Technical Conference (ATC)& Oil Show, an SPE/PAPG annual event, in 2003. -Chairman Technical Committee (ATC, 2002).