Geology/Question about Kimberlite Rock

Question
Kimberlite
Kimberlite  
Hello-My son found a rock that he thinks may be a Kimberlite.  I have attached a photo and ask if you have an opinion whether it may be a Kimberlite or not.  Also, if it looks like it might be, where would we go to verify.  Finally, are Kimberlites worth anything monetarily?  Thanks.

Answer
The rock that is in the picture is probably not kimberlite since it is and extrusive igneous rock (air pockets) and kimberlites are generally intrusive. Kimberlite has no value itself but is an indicator of diamonds.  In essence, kimberlite is the rock in which diamonds occur but it is not the container that is of value it is the contained (diamond). You should be able to take the rock to any higher education geologic department to determine for sure.  

Geology

Joe Norris