Geology/Unknown fossil

Question
I found a possible fossil in central Texas which is known for marine life during prehistoric times. It is shaped like a tooth but I don't know if it is one. If it is a tooth, the organism would've been carnivorous and the possible fossil measures 1 cm in length by a half a cm in width. The color of this possible tooth is dark brown. Based on the description, is this most likely a tooth? If it's not, would you know what else it could be? Thanks so much for your time!  I'm sorry about not having a picture to go with the question. For some reason, I took a picture of it and I had trouble uploading it.

Answer
Hi Tyler,
Sorry but without an image it is just impossible to tell what you have.  There are fossil corals that look just like a large tooth, erosional features can create tooth-like specimens.  Some minerals can have that kind of shape.  If you can send a picture we'll have a good chance of telling what you have.
There are a couple of alternatives.  Take it to the Geology department of a local University or college, they are usually more than happy to help.  Also, a local rock club can be very helpful.  I have found that collectors can be very knowledgeable about the rocks and minerals in their area.  They should be found on the Web.

Hope this helps.
Bob

Geology

C. Robert Reszka, Jr.