Geology/unusual rock

Question
jpg
jpg  

jpg
jpg  
hello, we are in Pa, and found this rock in the woods near by, could you please tell me what it is, I couldn't find nothing on it

Answer
You are quite right this is an unusual rock; actually at least two different types of rocks.  I can tell you that the red rock is hemititic (red color) quartz.  The other rocks I can not identify from the pictures; without hardness, streak, density of the rocks.  The rocks are metamorphic; therefore, you must have found them east of central PA.  The white rock could be plagioclase (feldspar) but without seeing it I can't tell for sure.

Plagioclase has a hardness of 6 - 6.5 (cannot be scratched by a knife blade Mohs hardness of 5)but can be scratched by quartz(glass which is mostly made up of quartz)which has a Mohs hardness of 7. Plagioclase has a vitreous luster (which means pearly) and a white streak (when scratched on porcelain.  White is a very typical streak so this isn't going to help you.  Plagioclase has a specific gravity of about 2.65 which is the same as quartz so it isn't real heavy (probably won't help either). The other potential tell-tell sign are the striations.  Plagioclase very typically has striations much like on your rock.  These are weathering phenomenon but are common.  Below is a reasonably good example of striation on Plagioclase.  You might also try the second link below which shows several.     

http://www.google.com/imgres?newwindow=1&sa=X&biw=1280&bih=685&tbm=isch&tbnid=Vn

https://www.google.com/search?q=plagioclase+striations&newwindow=1&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=9AQRUsmUFI6qyQGunYA4&ved=0CC0QsAQ&biw=1280&bih=685

I can say with reasonable assurance that these two quartz and plagioclase did not form together but were/are now cemented together by hemotite FeOx.  

Hope this helps.

Joe

Geology

Joe Norris