Geology/geophysics

Question
QUESTION: sir,ihave done fsc pre engineering in good mark 891/1100.please tell me aboutthe scope of geophysics in pakistan.this field is better than engineering i am very confuse to choose my perfect field

ANSWER: Taimoor,

You have chosen a right subject. Quaid-e-Azam University and Bahria University (Islamabad) both offer Masters in Geophysics. But your admission depends upon your marks in F.Sc.which are good (I hope they are equal or above 3.5/4 CGPA).

You should be good in mathematics and with a good command on the usage of computers, not just the MS Office. Geophysical interpretation is all based on highly sophisticated industry software. In the meantime improve your English and presentation skills. Apart from an interview you may have to give a short presentation; it may not be required for the admission but once you apply for a job it is normally required. Please note that hard work always pays, and your concepts about the subject should be perfect when you leave the University.

To me, Geophysics have an edge over simple Geology. Not only in Pakistan but world-wide we are getting more and more dependent on the interpretation of seismic data that tells us about the presence of subsurface structures that may contain hydrocarbons.

Best of luck.

QUESTION: sir please tell about its scope in pakistan,how many chances are available for getting a job here inshallah i will get admission in QAU

Answer
Taimoor,

As I mentioned in my previous response,  there is relatively better scope of Geophysics in Pakistan. But it all depends on how successful the exploration activities remain in the country, particularly when you will be out in about 5 years' time. But world-wide the search for oil will continue for a long time to come, and Geophysicists will be in demand elsewhere too. But there will be tough competition. So you will have to be  excellent in your field of choice. Exert your full potential in your studies, and I am sure you will not be disappointed. Not just the studies but keep a broader outlook, the more you know the more you are useful.

Best of luck.

Geology

Nusrat Kamal Siddiqui (Mr)