Geology/Two question about geology ?

How are you mr.Keith Patton i hope you doing fine .

what your opinion about :
1- Master degree in geology  without experience ?
2- BEST Specialty between (mining geology,geochemistry,volcanology ,mineralogy ,ore geology)

and i now my English language so bad  :)

1) If your MS is in on a subject that is currently of interest to the industry you are seeking to work in, then this is the best route.  A thesis or special research project should be done after you research the industry in which you want to work and see what is "hot" for the companies you plan to apply to.  Once you complete the work, you will be seen as an "expert" and will have a much better chance than those who are "un-experienced".   You might also be able to obtain some sponsorship or internship if you approach the companies with your research idea.  Some schools are now offering accelerated MS programs in order to fill the industry needs and are requiring only a research paper, an abbreviated thesis, and do no require that it be published.  This lowers the standard of work a bit, but still works to get students out and into the workplace quicker.

#2 Mining geology, volcanology, mineralogy, ore geology are all pretty narrow when it comes to employment.  Mining does not require the number of geoscientists that petroleum exploration does, there are fewer companies doing it.  So employment opportunities are limited.  Volcanology is really an academic pursuit, meaning only jobs available are with universities.  Mineralogy as a cutting edge science died in the late 1800's.  All the mineral were discovered and defined.  The real cutting edge stuff is in ceramics now, same principles, just not geologic.

Geochemistry is still used a lot in both petroleum and mining.  

What you should ask yourself is who will pay you to do any of these things after you graduate.  Do a search for jobs in those fields and see how much the jobs are paying.  It does absolutely no good to study something that no body wants to pay you to do.

A lot of kids coming out of schools with environmental degrees are finding out that there is nobody willing to hire them, because the market was shrinking 15 years ago and the schools either didn't know, or didn't tell them.  They just took their tuition money and taught them stuff that they could not use to find a job.

Be sure wherever you go to study, that there are professors who know the specialties you are interested in.  If not, they will steer you to things that THEY like, and not what you can use to find a job.  In all probability they are teaching because no one will pay them to pursue their interests other than a university.

Example, seismology.  Yes, earthquakes are important to know about, but there are no commercial companies paying seismologist geoscientist to study it.  Only universities and government agencies do that.  Same with vertebrate paleontology, only museums and government agencies.  Someone has to die or retire for jobs to become available.

Keith Patton

I can answer questions concerning physical and historical geology, environmental geology/hydrology, environmental consulting, remote sensing/aerial photo interpretation, G&G computer applications, petroleum exploration, drilling, geochemistry, geochemical and microbiological prospecting, 3D reservoir modeling, computer mapping and drilling.I am not a geophysicist.

I have 24 years experience split between the petroleum and environmental industries. I have served as an expert witness in remote sensing, developmental geologist, exploration geologist, enviromental project manager, and subject matter expert in geology and geophysical software development.

American Association of Petroleum Geologists
American Association of Photogrammetrists and Remote Sensing

Bachelor and Master of Science
Registered Geologist in State of Texas