Geology/Kyrgyz badlands

Question
Hello Dr.Siddiqi, and thanks for your expertise.

Last week I was in the Issyk-Kul region of Kyrgyzstan, driving from Bishkek to Karakol along the south rim of the lake. I noticed the badland geography, which intrigued me,as there is very little information online about it.

Would I be correct in thinking that the formation of the badlands are due to sediment of an endorheic body of water, slowly evaporating and leaving behind sediment which is eroding into a badland formation?

A feature which might contradict this is the pervasive presence of rounded river pebbles which vary in size from almost sand to head-sized. These badlands are not confined to the lake area only but are also present in the mountains on the western road from Bishkek.

We were in a hurry to get to Karakol,or I would have loved to explore a bit more. Any online information suitable for a layman would be appreciated.

Thanks again for any help you can give.

Answer
Eleanor,

You are right that the badland sediments also get deposited in an endorheic water body where the deposits have a homogenous lithology and fine texture. But that is not the only habitat. Once the area again becomes a dry land, the run-off due to rains etc does not have any controlling hindrance that results in a random and close drainage pattern on almost a horizontal top of the dry sediments. An abrupt and small change in the local base-level rapidly cuts through the homogeneous sediments, which again stabilizes/minimizes as the base-level is reached; which may rejuvinate later due to any uplift etc.

I think the pebbles were rounded somewhere else in the high relief region but as the water reached a generally flat area the energy dropped to leave pebbles in the badland small valleys.

However, I am not an expert in this field. The best thing for you would be to use Internet, just write 'badland' in your browser and so many links would pop-up!  

Geology

Nusrat Kamal Siddiqui (Mr)