Geology/Future of Petroleum Engineereing

Question
sir i want to do petroleum engineering. plz tell me futurre of petroleum engineers in pakistan and the world. also tell me all the aspects of petroleum engineering such as salaries,work atmosphere. My parents discourage me from doing petroleum enginnering but i really want to to do it. plz give me a piece of advise.

Answer
Abdul,

Worldwide, the exploration is comparatively in advanced stage in the mature basins, where as there may be some reservoirs which may have been left out, or the producing reservoirs may have been damaged, leaving behind considerable oil and gas, resulting in a pre-mature abandonment of a field. Now such fields can be re-evaluated to find out the above. Similarly, by applying best practices during the producing life of the fields the life can be extended and the production could be maximized.

Here Petroleum Engineering and Reservoir Engineering come handy. Petroleum and Reservoir Engineering have an edge over exploration in a sense that their involvement continues throughout the life of the field, while the exploratory team leaves once the discovery is made, or just have an indirect involvement during the production phase.

Work atmosphere depends on your attitude, approach to the assignments and how your concepts are clear about your field of specialization; and how you communicate with other disciplines. The salaries are too dynamic to commit, but they will be much better comparatively.

I think your liking for the subject and the above analysis combined, might convince your parents.But you should be good in Maths, with a good command on the use of the computer/software.

Best of luck.

Geology

Nusrat Kamal Siddiqui (Mr)