Geology/Petroleum Engineering

Question
Assalam o alaikum sir i am bit confused nowadays... because i want to adopt petroleum engineering as my career but many people are saying to me that petroleum engineer's family life suffers badly,means a petroleum engineer do not have family life,which is haunting me... i can work constantly on field for 2 to 3 years in the start of my career but i can't spend my whole life out of my house,like 6 months a person is away from his family i don't want my family to suffer in future!!! and please tell me also about it's scope in Karachi or in the every city of Pakistan!!! and finally did you have any idea about Petroleum Engineering department of NED University Karachi... means where the students of NED who passed out from petroleum engineering???? sir plz answer me before sunday plzplzplz...

Answer
Hi Arsalan,

Thanks for the question,

I would say that i am not the best person to answer this question because i am not a petroleum engineer. There are two types of opportunities in oil and gas industry, one is field based and other is office based. For field engineers there is a fixed rotation of 28/28 on/off the whole life unless you move from field position to office position. Petroleum engineering is a great carrier and it has a lot of scope in and outside of Pakistan. You may get opportunities in Exploration and Services companies, i have seen Petroleum engineers working as drilling engineers, reservoir engineers, production engineers etc.

I hope it helps,

Geology

Syed Anjum Shah