Geology/writing a well proposal document

Hello sir, I have been tasked with writing a well proposal document. It will be my first and also the first to be written in my company so i do not have a template. I have a good idea the things to address in the document such as 1.well objectives data depth criteria 4. well justification 5.any drilling there anything else that i should write about? Thank you

You may have to start with an Introduction  about  how the well location was selected---seismic (2D, 3D), mapping etc, and mention the coordinates. Some information about surrounding discoveries, if any, and which rocks produced hydrocarbons. What the structure type is, along with a Time or Depth map showing the well location. May be a section across the well location to indicate faults if the trap is fault bounded, along with the deeper horizons also. Put a stratigrpahic column showing lithology, potential reservoirs, and highlight source and cap-rocks.  The casing design should also have the stratigraphic column on one side.

In the end you may add your technical analysis about the pros and cons of the well, and what risks are involved. You may also use percentage of success for trap integrity, presence of reservoir, cap-rock, source rock and its maturity, charge and timing etc. Add them on to predict the overall chance of success! You should do it in such a way that you may be able to defend it during the post-drilling discussions.

Submit the draft to your senior. When finalized, the document should have yours and the senior(s) signatures.

Hope it helps.

Nusrat Kamal Siddiqui (Mr)

I am a petroleum exploration geologist with about 40+ years of diversified experience. I can answer questions on stratigraphy, log interpretation, field studies based on set of logs and core results, general geology etc. Can provide guidance for career planning in earth sciences. Can not help in questions about hard rocks, igneous petrology & mineralogy, sequence stratigraphy and seismic.

Petroleum Exploration - field geology, stratigraphy, prospect generation, interpretation of satellite imagery (visual), log interpretation.

Retired in May, 2006 as Senior Manager Exploration from Pakistan Petroleum Limited after serving 26 years. Since then continuing in active service with petroleum exploration companies.A cumulative experience of about 40 years covers 30 years in petroleum exploration, 5 years hydrogeology experience in Libya, and about 5 years of dam geology in Pakistan.

-AAPG Bulletin (Vol.88, July, 2004); paper on Sui Main Limestone (Eocene), a prolific gas reservoir in Pakistan. -Have presented papers on diversified topics ranging from spirituality, flood control, remote sensing and off course geology in France, Nepal, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, UAE, Kashmir, India and Pakistan that have been published in respective Special Proceedings. -ONGC Bulletin(India) Vol. 44, Number 2, December, 2009; Chapter 19.A & 19.B on basin architecture and stratigraphy of Pakistan, p.402-474.

BSc Honours in Geology and Master of Science in Petroleum and Structural Geology. PGD from ITC, The Netherlands.

-Remained Active Member of AAPG from 1990-2006; founding member of PAPG (a local affiliate of AAPG). -Life member of SEGMITE & AGID, and Senior Editor of SEGMITE magazine. -Member of the Board of Studies, i. Department of Petroleum & Gas Engineering (BUITMS, Quetta), and ii. Geology Department, Sindh University, Jamshoro. -Member of Stratigraphic Committee of Pakistan. -Represented Mining Journal, UK in Pakistan till 2007. -Chairman of Annual Technical Conference (ATC)& Oil Show, an SPE/PAPG annual event, in 2003. -Chairman Technical Committee (ATC, 2002).