Geology/petroleum exploration

Question
Is petroleum system different from play? if they are, could you throw more light on both?
what does quantum of 2D/3D seismic data and vintages covering a field mean?
what is seismic prognosis?
What is geologic prognosis?

Introduction:
I am an intern working in the Nigeria. currently involved in Field Development studies in the Niger Delta. I like the answers you proffer.

Answer
Dear Uche,

1) Is petroleum system different from play? if they are, could you throw more light on both?

Answer) Petroleum system deals with all aspects and processes of hydrocarbon starting from the source to the final entrapment.  You need to see study source rock, reservoir, seal rock and trap whereas processes that involved in hydrocarbon generation also need to be taken into account i.e., are hydrocarbon maturation and generation of the source rock by thermal effect, expulsion and the migration from the source and finally the accumulation into the reservoir which require to be retained there due to effective and competent overlying seal and trap.

Play is generally regarded as a typical reservoir rock or some specific trap type; for example Devonian reefs or rift play or Early Cretaceous marine sandstone.

2) what does quantum of 2D/3D seismic data and vintages covering a field mean?

Answer) This means 2D and 3D seismic data volume over a field whereas vintage means the year when the data was acquired or processed. You may find 2D or 3d seismic data acquired more than one time  or processed on various occasions with different methodology.

3) what is seismic prognosis?
What is geologic prognosis?

Answer) After seismic data interpretation geologist has to prepare several structure maps on the various geological horizons including top of the reservoirs. Based on the seismic interpretation well needs to drilled on the most optimum geological position either through structure maps or by the combination of seismic attribute mapping and structure maps both. Therefore, a geologist will prepare the drilling sequence of each geological formation with depth, lithology and thickness of each formation going to be drilled from the top of the well to the proposed total depth. That program is known as geological prognosis which is derived by the seismic data.

Hope this answer helps you.

regards

tariq hasany  

Geology

Syed Tariq Hasany