Geology/rock identification

green red rock
green red rock  

closeup green red rock
closeup green red rock  
 I was wondering if you could tell me what type of rock this is.? I found it in Mohave County AZ. Its multipule layers, mostly green on the outside, and inside it is an orange red powder that stains hands and clothes.
Any info would be very appreciated.

I can't without actually seeing the rock tell you everything about the rock but I can tell you that that portion shown at the top of the "closeup green red rock" photo is an intrusive vein.  From the photo the vein appears to contain: pyrite (FeS), chalcopyrite (CuFeS which is where the green copper color come from), galena (PbS lead), there are probably a lot more minerals, but that is all that I can identify from the photo.  The red that you mention is FeO2 hematite and is probably only a surface coating since you say that it stains.  This is the mineral with which that the Indians used to paint their faces.  Because of the hematite staining I can't identify  the rock that the vein is attached to.  Hope this helps. This rock has the potential to have silver or gold.  The rock is too small to have an value itself but if you could find is origin the vein may have value.  

Joe Norris

I am an economic geologist. An economic geologist does mineral evaluations and appraisals of mineral or mining properties. I can tell you if your deposit has value - remember that a mineral deposit, no matter how good, only has value when mined. Any value assigned to a mineral deposit, in the ground, is only the speculative value that deposit.

I have been a economic geologist for most of my 35 year career. Although I have done work in perhaps 45 states and numerious countries much of my work has been in Appalachian coal, intermountain west gold and silver, and Arizona uranium.

Past President of the Virginia Section of the American Institute of Professional Geologists and a certified geologist in twelve states.

BS Degree from Eastern Kentucky University. Work on MS Degree @ Eastern Kentucky University, Colorad School of Mines & Marshall University Numerious short courses on the value of mineral deposits and how to value same. Also several short courses dealing with the different types of geologic processes; sedimentary, igneous, metamorphic along with the mineral associated with each.