Geology/structural geology(structurlal analysis)

Question
QUESTION: Dear sir,
       I hope you are doing well,i have just got admission  in mphill  petroleum Geo science,i am more interested to continue my study in the field of  structural geology,please  guide me to chose me the research title which is comprised of both topic (structure/petroleum)

thanks
sajid ali

ANSWER: Dear Sajid Ali,

Thanks for sending me your valuable question.

Topics of research in geology and geophysics are unlimited; you may start from basic structural interpretation (folding and faulting pattern to velocity variation through velocity modelling on various lithofacies).

I would suggest you to select an oilfield in your area where geological and seismic data can be obtained from operating company. This will help you to know more insight about techniques in petroleum exploration and methodology for interpretation at the end you may end up landing a job in the oil company on which data you have worked.

My recommended topic is as follows;

Field Sigma (fictitious oil and gas field)structural style and relationship between fault geometry and fracture distribution pattern in Tertiary carbonates oil and gas reservoirs.

The basic idea is to study those reservoirs where fracturing is the essential property for hydrocarbon storage and flow. You need seismic  data, wells reports, FMI and other logs and production of wells data.

This topic covers both structure geology and petroleum.

Hope this answer will be useful for your.

Do not forget to RATE the answer if you are happy and satisfied.
Regards

TH

QUESTION: DEAR SIR,
        Thanks for your answer,i am satisfied with your previous answer,here i would like to add an other question in the field of structural geology.
Sir According to your knowledge what is the  structural analysis (geology) and how much structural analysis in important in the field of oil industry and also in the field of geology
As i have also done few work in my BS final year thesis work in  structural analysis which includes fold analysis,fault analysis and  joint analysis  also used some software as stereonet and rose diagram.

Answer
Structural analysis is also critically important in petroleum exploration to determine the timing of the start of folding (in oil generally it should be an anticline) and final phase of fold when it becomes a viable trap for hydrocarbon or if a young fault may have caused a breach of the trap that would be responsible factor of many large structures failed to produce hydrocarbon or fault itself that help to form a viable trap.

Since the generation and expulsion of oil and gas from the source rock, both are the independent processes which require adequate thermal blanket or overburden and pressure and after migration it needs a trap to be stored; for example an anticline.

For this reason, timing of petroleum generation and timing of folding is important to determine how much hydrocarbons should be trapped in case timing of migration and timing of final trap have somewhat unfavorable timings.

Ideally, trap should be present before the upward hydrocarbon migration starts towards its potential trap but it does not happen in most of the time. That's why its important to realize the possible risk factor if trap was too young and formed in later phase when migration was almost nearing end.

Basin modeling  or petroleum system modeling results help to determine the source rock thermal history, timing of generation and expulsion whereas seismic data with the support of wells will help you to study structural evolution. Tectonic history and sedimentation history provide you useful insight about structure.

Structural analysis starts from very large global to regional stress-strain distribution (several tens or hundreds of kilometers) and their geometry pattern (Azimuth, dips, shapes and reason of origin) and end up zooming into a very small scale prospect or field size stress-strain relationship which could be as small as few square kilometers or even less. The attributes required to be studied are fractures, joints their azimuth, amount of strike and dip, open aperture, fracture filling material, etc.Strain-stress response to the rocks are also varying in different type of lithologies.

It's  good that you are aware about structural analysis in you previous classes and also have knowledge of softwares; I am sure you will easily end up improving your previous results with more data and better quantified results.

Hope this answer will be helpful.

Please do not forget to RATE this answer.

Regards

Geology

Syed Tariq Hasany