How can weathering help in determining Earth's Age?

Weathering is very variable depending on the climactic area and the type of rock that is being exposed to the effects of weathering and the minerals of which it is composed.

If this is a class question, there is probably some context the teacher gave you, come discussion that the question was connected to.

If it is a question you came up with out of your own curiosity, then the answer becomes very complex.

This paper discusses one attempt to derive a way to connect "time" to the results of weathering on rocks in the Alps.  They measure a weathering "rind" on various rocks of known ages and can derive a rough way to tell the age of rocks based on it.

There are two types of weathering, chemical and mechanical and variations under each, that change with climate.  

If you are actually wanting to know if deposition of weathered material can help determine the age of the Earth, that is a completely different thing.

Let me know if THAT is what you intended.  

Keith Patton

I can answer questions concerning physical and historical geology, environmental geology/hydrology, environmental consulting, remote sensing/aerial photo interpretation, G&G computer applications, petroleum exploration, drilling, geochemistry, geochemical and microbiological prospecting, 3D reservoir modeling, computer mapping and drilling.I am not a geophysicist.

I have 24 years experience split between the petroleum and environmental industries. I have served as an expert witness in remote sensing, developmental geologist, exploration geologist, enviromental project manager, and subject matter expert in geology and geophysical software development.

American Association of Petroleum Geologists
American Association of Photogrammetrists and Remote Sensing

Bachelor and Master of Science
Registered Geologist in State of Texas