Geology/Weathering

Question
How can weathering help in determining Earth's Age?

Answer
Weathering is very variable depending on the climactic area and the type of rock that is being exposed to the effects of weathering and the minerals of which it is composed.

If this is a class question, there is probably some context the teacher gave you, come discussion that the question was connected to.

If it is a question you came up with out of your own curiosity, then the answer becomes very complex.

This paper discusses one attempt to derive a way to connect "time" to the results of weathering on rocks in the Alps.  They measure a weathering "rind" on various rocks of known ages and can derive a rough way to tell the age of rocks based on it.

http://www.arlis.org/docs/vol1/ICOP/55700698/Pdf/Chapter_111.pdf

There are two types of weathering, chemical and mechanical and variations under each, that change with climate.  

If you are actually wanting to know if deposition of weathered material can help determine the age of the Earth, that is a completely different thing.

Let me know if THAT is what you intended.  

Geology

Keith Patton