Geology/lamprhorlite bomb pipe

lamprhorlite pipe
lamprhorlite pipe  
I found a lamprhorlite bomb . wondering if you could steer me in the right direction to look for the pipe

Obviously you are interested in identifying where the kimberlite pipe might be.

The image you sent is not adequate resolution to be of much help to me.

Where did you find the bomb, was it in a stream or lying in teh soil?  From the image it looks like the area is or was heavily forested.

Soils derived from pipes do not support trees I have been told, but I do not think that would be the case in a mature or heavily weathered area.

Pipes would have a round to oval pattern on the ground and might leave a gossen like cap of bluish mineralization if not obscured by weathering.  The rocks might be covered by a combination of soil weathered from the rock or leaf litter.  

You might look for an area of trees that differ in species from the surrounding trees.  Some tree species tend to like particular soils, I have mapped pine trees on sandstone ridges and hardwoods on lime and clay soils in valleys over limestone before.  

Topographic expression is also another way of mapping features such as these.

If you can visit the Soil Conservation Service office near you, also known as the Ag assistance office or National Resources Conservation Service if in the US.  Look them up in your phone book or on  the web.  You used to be able to visit the office and look at black and white aerial photos, if you have a stereoscope you could see them in 3D.  Look for areas of depression, as noted by darker soil colors in the old black and whites.  Bombs would not go more than a few miles if it was found in its landing area.  One Black and white image, would cover about 5-6 Square miles.  They now have high altitude color infrared, which would show even more subtleties.  Dark red-purple areas are wet areas that indicate depressions.  Look for those.  These will also show subtle areas of vegitative stress or variances in canopy of the same species if trees are growing on preferred or less than optimum substrate.  After identifying areas, the only thing then is to go and check them on foot, or collect ground truth in those areas.

My question about where exactly you found the bomb was to help determine if it is "float' or a rock that was transported by gravity or possibly even by a stream. I don't know what the condition of the rock is, with regard to weathering, but bombs tend to weather rather quickly and if found on the surface, it calls into question exactly how it got there.  If from the soil, it makes it more probably that it is where it origially landed.

Feel free to ask me more if you feel the need.

Use Google Earth to search your area and look for "Blueish ground" and paths where there is no vegetation (the soil around a Kimberlite isn't conducive to grow trees) and look for small round "Lakes" with a whitish ring around the beach area. It may be filled with water (the center) or not.

In the State-Line district of Colorado/Wyoming alone there is said to be 2000 Kimberlites that are unexplored! Canada is recently becoming the Top 3 producers of Diamonds in the World...Wow!...Have fun hunting and Good Luck!

Keith Patton

I can answer questions concerning physical and historical geology, environmental geology/hydrology, environmental consulting, remote sensing/aerial photo interpretation, G&G computer applications, petroleum exploration, drilling, geochemistry, geochemical and microbiological prospecting, 3D reservoir modeling, computer mapping and drilling.I am not a geophysicist.

I have 24 years experience split between the petroleum and environmental industries. I have served as an expert witness in remote sensing, developmental geologist, exploration geologist, enviromental project manager, and subject matter expert in geology and geophysical software development.

American Association of Petroleum Geologists
American Association of Photogrammetrists and Remote Sensing

Bachelor and Master of Science
Registered Geologist in State of Texas