Geology/petroleum prospect

I saw your answer here
and i want to ask you a question :
what is the difference between petroleum prospect and petroleum reservoirs ?
thanks in advance

Dear Motaz,

Thanks for sending me your question.

Petroleum prospect is any yet to drilled structural, stratigraphic or combination trap that have been  identified in surface or subsurface by a team of experienced geologists, geophysicist and engineers and after thorough study geology, tectonic and petroleum conditions considered favorable for the occurrence of oil and gas.  

Petroleum reservoir is the rock where oil, gas and water is naturally stored in the naturally occurring pores or fractures in the subsurface and can be drilled to obtain commercial quantities. More than 98% of the world reservoirs are sandstone and carbonates.

Hope this answer helps.

Please Rate this answer if you are happy and satisfied.
You are welcome to more questions.

Syed Tariq Hasany

MY HUMBLE REQUEST. BEFORE SENDING A QUESTION PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULY. ANSWERING ONLY PUBLIC QUESTIONS. Ask questions of exploration of Petroleum, and specific regions for specific answers about Pakistan, Central Asia, Middle East and Far East. Ask questions of Business side of the petroleum Geology. Love to guide students and also Career related issues PRIVATE QUESTIONS on I am not expert of Hard rocks (Igneous and metamorphic rocks)Volcanic activity and related petrology, mineralogy and its exploration. BE SPECIFOC WHAT YOU WANT TO KNOW AND ASK WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT. Show me your determination and commitment to learn. PLEASE TRY TO WRITE RIGHT, PROPER AND CORRECT LANGUAGE. DO NOT USE TEXT(SMS)STYLE. Thanks TARIQ

Petroleum Exploration

Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd

In Pakistani and Asian Petroleum Confertence special Publications

BSc Honours in Geology and Master of Science degree in Petroleum Geology

Active member AAPG, SPE and PAPG Treasurer PAPG and AAPG Visiting Geoscientist