Geology/Rock cluster identification

Question
mica cluster?
mica cluster?  
I have a "rock cluster" given to me. It is very beautiful, but am unsure exactly what it is. I'm sure it contains mica, however not too sure what the other is and if its of any value? Can you help? Thanks for you're time.
         DeeAnn

Answer
I can't really see it well enough (in the picture) to tell you what is in it but having seen similar clusters many times in the field (mostly in Colorado) I expect that it is pegmatite.

Pegmatites are a very crystalline, intrusive igneous rock composed of interlocking crystals usually larger than 2.5 cm (about 1 inch) in size;such rocks are referred to as pegmatitic.  Most pegmatites are composed of quartz, feldspar and mica; in essence a granite; which is what I believe yours is; although I can't see all of those minerals in the picture. These are very common along the Front Range of Colorado.

Rarer intermediate composition and mafic pegmatites containing amphibole, Ca-plagioclase feldspar, pyroxene, tourmaline and other minerals are known, found in recrystallised zones and apophyses associated with large layered intrusions.  Crystal size is the most striking feature of pegmatites, with crystals usually over 5 cm (2 inches) in size. Individual crystals over 10 metres (over 30 feet) across have been found, and the world's largest crystal was found within a pegmatite.

Similarly, crystal texture and form within pegmatitic rock may be taken to extreme size and perfection. Feldspar within a pegmatite may display exaggerated and perfect twinning, exsolution lamellae, and when affected by hydrous crystallization, macroscale graphic texture is known, with feldspar and quartz intergrown. Perthite feldspar within a pegmatite often shows gigantic perthitic texture visible to the naked eye.

Value: I have, many times, seen these clusters in rock shops so they do have some value. I would suspect that the value is directly related to the size of the crystals and yours appears to have average size crystals. It probably has a retail value of $20 - $50; but the rock shop owner is probably only going to offer you half that or so.  

Geology

Joe Norris